Re: [Epic] Erik Rutins Campaign Rules

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:46:49 -0500

At 12:51 AM 6/20/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Do really think that English is not easy? If you were French, Spanish

The difficulty in French (for me, anyway) was the incredible array of verb
conjugations. Then added to that was the fact that the meanings of the
verbs change in different tenses, and even if the general meanings stay the
same, different tenses and so forth can put a hugely different conotation to
the verb.

>From what I understand, the difficulty with English is the dizzying choice
of adjectives and adverbs to choose from. It's not too hard to learn, but
in the same way French verbs are ripe with meaning, an English speaker has
to be able to differentiate between the sometimes subtle connotative
differences of , just for example: thin, skinny, lithe, bony, gaunt,
haggard, delicate, lean, gangly, lanky, slender, slim, slight, etc, etc.
Even the large French-english dictionaries I've seen rarely have more than 2
or 3 french terms for each English term, but many English terms for the same
french term.

Of course, once you learn the conjugations of the verb "to go" you have a
large portion of English colloquialisms in the bag . . .

Just rambling in my usually incoherent linguistically curious manner . . .

Temp