RE: [Epic] Thread on Orcs, AT & LRs [was barrage]

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:59:45 -0500

>>I don't think the player's favorite really matters.
>
>It absolutely DOES matter. Players' favorite = SALES!! More new nifty
>gadgets for the players' favorite = MORE SALES!!
>
>Temp

.----> I will agree with some of the original comments about the
vicious cycle - we have seen a near-constant barrage of new
imperial vehicles from tanks to bikes in 40K, but they have
mostly been conversions of things from Epic or re-dos of
older 40K mini's. I think the reasoning behind this is tied
into the fact that there are marines in the box and the
Imperium is the central "theater" of the game.
        We've seen some Ork re-do's (nothing really new, though)
and the Eldar have had some re-do's and the new Vyper.
As popular as they seem to be, I am surprised by the lack
 of eldar add-ons, especially vehicles. I think with the new epic
mini's, that will change - they have a decent looking tank
and a personnel carrier (wave serpent) now. I just hope that
(as I am finally building an ork 40K army) we see some
ork 40K vehicles. I wonder how they're going to make a
"battlewagon" for 40K, though...I'm sick of all the ork players
taking blood axes just so they can use IG tanks...

        Getting back to epic, I don't think any race can feel
 shortchanged on troops & vehicles - I would like to see some
things added, but I don't think any race is unplayable or
unfairly disadvantaged. We are blurring two different issues:

1) race x isn't getting as much support/new units
2) race x is not competitive with other races

The support issue is sales-driven, the play balance issue
shouldn't be.

Chris Miller