Re: [Epic] E40K New Rules - Smoke Rounds

From: Sean Smith <seans_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 21:59:35 +1300

On Fri 20 Jun, Joseph Looney wrote:
> Ok, I have been talking about "new rules" needed for E40K as a war
> game. Smoke rounds, Air Defense rules, and Engineer rules being the
> biggest "missing items" IMHO.
>
> Here is my take on Smoke rounds in Epic 40K. Yes these are blind
> grenades on heavy drugs...
>
> Smoke rounds in Epic 40K
>
> Any unit with the "Artillery" modifier may be equipped with smoke rounds
> at a cost of 5 points per unit
> with smoke rounds.
>
> Using smoke rounds:
> The firing unit�s detachment must be on "Special" orders.
>
> Smoke rounds must be fired as part of "Preliminary Bombardment".
>
> A unit may only fire one smoke round per firing phase.
>
> Firing the smoke round counts as the units fire for that phase. They do
> not get to fire for effect also.
>
> For each smoke round fired place a 6cm circle (a "blast template").
>
> The template block line of site/line of fire for all units, except
> flyers. Please note that skimmers line of site IS blocked by smoke
> rounds. The smoke is a pillar, not a hemisphere.
>
> If placed on a unit the unit has it�s line of site block, and it is
> blocked as well. (i.e. you can�t see it and it can�t see out of the
> smoke cloud). You must cover at least 3 figures for infantry units and
> 2 figures for cavalry units. There is no other effect for placing a
> smoke round on a unit.
>
> During the rally phase smoke rounds are removed after Blast Markers are
> removed.
>
> To remove a smoke cloud roll on die per cloud. Smoke rounds are removed
> on a 4+.

Now all we need to do is come up with a rule for thermal imaging!

Lets see, I think space-marines and tanks would have it automatically.
Lets say that they get a -1 when firing a targets covered by smoke, and
-2 when firing a targets they have their line of sight blocked by smoke.
The only problem with this idea, of course, is that marines and
tanks get a special ability for free.

I know, instead let any unit buy thermal imaging for the cost on tenth of
its initial cost. That should solve it, what do other people think?

--
 Sean Smith

 Home - Seans_at_...