RE: [Epic] Thread on Orcs, AT & LRs [was barrage]

From: Ken Taborek <oberon_at_...>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 07:37:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, [iso-8859-1] Peacekeeper-� wrote:

[chomp]
> The support issue is sales-driven, the play balance issue
> shouldn't be.
>
> I agree in theory. I don't think E40K has been played enough yet
> to determine playbalance. Her are my initial observations however
> from the 3 armies I have played, seen played, or seen
> battle reports.
> (Preparing to be shot to pieces).
>
> Imperials seem to be solid and dependable as always:While I would not
> say they are unbalanced, they are helped by being able to both
> TG, IG, and marine stuff. It's a definite advantage to have Artillary and
> marine units patrolling the board. The land raider appears to be the only cheesy unit so far, of course it's hard to compare, since there are few
> units with ani-tank weapons that are tanks. (The two that come to mind being the exocrine and the Fire Prism)I think GW underestimade the
> effectiveness of anti-tank weapons avalable on common vehicals. For instance the 'each LR places a blast marker fired at seperat detachments effect."

I've found my Imperials to be a very effective force, but their overall
sturdyness hasn't kept me from losing games. Their arty still instills
fear in my opponents :)

> Orks:Only seen 2 games with these, but they seem balanced. The fact that
> you can get lots of nobs is a plus. (I figure 4+ armour and a save is as good as 5+ armour), also they have a higher AF and cost a point less.

Orc Nobs are definatly one of their best units.

> Eldar:These seem balanced, especially compared to Epic 2Ed. Actually,
> they seem slightly weak in comparison to other races, mostly do to the fact that the points values don't seem to take into account the fact that they lose moral easily and have small detachments.

Eldar seem to be far better in close combat then they were in epic2. I
usually stepped on anything they used save the Wind Rider Host. In games
of e40k, I've had my marines thrown around by all sorts of Eldar units.
Kinda gives me a new respect for them. I hated the Eldar in epic2 because
I felt they had two options: 1) Take cheesy combinations of units (like
doomweaver/wave serpent); or 2) Lose. It left a bad taste either way.

> Oh well, flame on. Just saw Batman and Robin by the way, it ranks as
> one of the worst movies I have seen in a while, mostly incredibly bad
> writing.

Why would you get flamed for expressing your opinion? Only pigfuckers do
that! In case you wondering about my crude expletive, check out
http://www.erols.com/jdfalk/ The infamous Christmas movie. I laughed my
rear off.