Re: [Epic] Firepower vs Anti-Tank

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 16:58:26 +0100

Sean Smith wrote:

> Fire power vs Anti-Tank weapons comparsion
>
> A detachment 10 Leman Russ (worth 320 points):
>
> - have 30 firepower
> - Which will cause 3 blast markers
> - And 16 hits against infantry or vehicles in the open

erm, isn't this actually 15, not 16 dice? Page 19 - work out the attack
as one firepower 20 attack and a second attack at the remaining
firepower.
> against units with an armour level of:
>
> 6+ - it will result in 2.7 kills 5+ - it will result in 5.3 kills
> 4+ - it will result in 8 kills
> 3+ - it will result in 10.6 kills
>
> A detachment of 9 Land raiders (worth 315 points) -
>
> - will inflict 9 kills against units in open or any form of cover
> - Can pick any target in range it wishes to fire at, not just
> the nearest, as Leman Russ have to.
> - inflict 1 blast marker

erm, 9 LandRaiders with 2AT shots each is 18 SHWs firing - therefore 2
blast markers.

> Demand comparison:
>
> Note - For the purposes of comparsion I have assumed
> that both units are firing simultanously. I
> real game one detachment would get to fire
> before the other got to fire.

Great comparison, and useful. But ...
This is where it falls down, though. As the LandRaiders are more
susceptable to suppression from BMs, an enemy would always target them
first. In a prolonged exchange over a series of turns, the Leman Russ's
can take more casualties, will take longer to effectively suppress, and
dish out more suppression markers. Vs infantry. Against tanks or
titans, the Land Raiders would be able to prune the enemy down to size
much more effectively. As with all good wargames, it comes down to
choosing the right tool for the job.

> Conclusion
>
> If your wanting to inflict blast markers and kill units
> armour values 3+ or less, use Firepower. If you are wanting
> kill units with armour 4+, in the open or above (3+ in cover)
> and not so concerned about inflicting blast makers, use
> landraiders.

Because of the effect of BMs, I think that the break-even point is
between the 4+ and weaker, for which I'd use Leman Russ's; and 5+ or
better armour for which land raiders should be used.

Richard