RE: [Epic] Thread on Orcs, AT & LRs [was barrage]

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:01:49 -0500

At 03:04 PM 6/23/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Is it me or was the 60's TV series of Batman far better than any of the
>recent movies.

That's because the series was meant to be campy. I think the movies are
supposedly trying some vain attempt at "dark humor." Personally, I think
once Tim Burton bailed they should have stopped. There aren't that many
directors who have the necessary sense of the macabre to pull off a Dark
Knight style Batman, and even fewer of them that can understand the concept
of what the comic REALLY says, and apparently none of them (if there are any
besides Burton) wanted to do it.

>It always makes me laugh when in one episode Batman jumps
>out of the Batmobile and shouts to the bad guys, "Stop that or you will be
>severely pummelled about the head and shoulders!" while keeping a perfectly
>straight face. Or when Batman and Robin walk into the theatre, then when
>asked if they want a seat at the front Batman replies, "No, we don't want
>to appear conspicuous!" as if we all walk round with our underpants on the
>outside.

Or "Quick Robin! Hand me the "Bat-shark repellent!" that they just happen
to have in the helicopter; the same helicopter which is later crash-landed
in front of a store that just happens to be having a large "foam rubber
exposition" in the parking lot.

Temp