RE: [Epic] Flak and aircraft

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 07:26:46 -0400

> Just a quick comment about flak. Has anybody taken note
> of the fact th=
at if you put your two flak units 30 cm apart
> and 30cm away from you boar=
d edge you creat a 30cm box which
> fliers can't enter without being shoot =
at. Because if
=
> the flak units, they can be shoot at by your flak.
>
> Some players may a=
rgue that this is a bit cheesy, however I
> argue this is fair. As it is li=
kely that you will have off board
> AA to the rear of your army and while n=
ot perfect, this
> represents the existence of this AA.
>
> This fact is of=
 particular importance to armies that have
> artillery or have lots of troo=
p transports. For example
> in two different games I have played recently I=
 have caught
> an unweary Ork and spacemarine player off guard by using my
=
> airpower shoot up their troop transports in the first turn,
> before they=
 got to move, hereby forcing their troops to
> walk across the battlefield.=
 Which was just perfect for my
> artillery and heavy weapon troops.

An =
amendment to the adove, if the two flak units are say 20cm
away from from y=
our board edge and 50cm apart you creat a 50cm
box by 20cm box which fliers=
 with a 30cm can't enter without
being shoot at. A diagram is below.

* ==
 Flak units
                      50cm
                  * ----------- *
  =
                | |20cm
                  | |
-----=
---------------------------------------------your board
                   =
                               edge

Actually, you can just about create a=
 60 by 30 box as show

                      60cm
                  * -----=
------ *
                  | |30cm
                  | =

--------------------------------------------------your board
        =
                                          edge
(Yes Sean, I cut and pasted =
it, thank you.) The only place a flyer can enter
is place in the center of =
the back lack line. I'm not sure how big this is, also
it would be hard to =
get a flyer in here as it would be hard to judge where
to have them enter w=
ithout measuring. You get the loophole because each flak unit makes a circl=
e. Actually, if you play eldar, I think this will work. I suggested this be=
cause you might be able to trap enemy flyers into flying within in range of=
 your flak. Also, since flyers can come in on any edge of the board the sho=
uld be able to get in, unless you have lots of flak. This would only work t=
o cover a static unit, like artillary, in which case the only way to get it=
 would be with your own artillary. Sigh. Interesting point.
Assuming a 5+=
 armour and flak with a Fp of 2. It has a .5555 (5/9) chance of hitting
a f=
lyer in range. This is actually, better than a fire prism, which cost more =
and has a 50% chance of hitting. However the fireprism has longer range and=
 more chance of destroying the flyer. (.25 chance of destruction) vs .222 f=
or the normal one.
Vs an armour of 4 the fireprism has the same chance and =
the flak unit has a 1 chance of hitting and a .75 chance of destroying the =
enemy flyer. However vs an armour of 6 the fireprism has the same chance an=
d normal flak has a .305 chance of hitting and .05555 chance of destruction=
. Thus the fireprism is only signifigantly better vs heavily armour flyers.=

-------------------------------------
"Your incorrect assumptions are three=
fold."
"You assume law still reigns in the Five Galaxies"
"You assume that =
we would be bound by precedents and precepts from the last 10 million years=
."
"But your most incorrect assumption of all is to assume that we care." =

                                        -David Brin, Infinity's Shore