[Epic] Aircraft vs Aircraft

From: Sean Smith <seans_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 12:24:48 +1300

On Fri 27 Jun, Sean Smith wrote:

My table below originally only had pts cost/firepower vs ground
targets, I have added pts cost/firepower vs aircraft. Then
below is a table�for comparing the performance aircraft
in dogfights (it can also be used workout the possible
affect of flak on aircraft).

> Just for the hell of it I have decided to compare the firepower
> of flak units and aircraft.
>
> * = for units with barrage weapons I have counted them has
> having a firepower of 1.5 and aircraft with heavy
> barrage weapons 3.
>
> # = anti tank, most aircraft have an armour 5+, anti weapons
> penetrate armour on a 4+.

  GT = Firepower against ground targets

  AC = Firepower against aircraft targets

> Name |Type|Pts Cost|Range|Cost/GT|Cost/AC|Armour|Assault
>
> Hydra Flak 28 30cm 9.3 9.3
> Flakwagon " 20 30cm 10.0 10.0
> Fire Prism " 35# 45cm 35.0 35.0
>
> Thunderbolt aircraft 30 15cm 15.0 15.0 5+ 3/2
> Marauder " 45 30cm 9.0 22.5 5+ 2/2
> Thunderhawk " 80 30cm 8.0 20.0 6+ 1/4
> (transports 5)
> Fighta-Bommer " 30 15cm 15.0 20.0 5+ 3/2
> Night Wing " 40 15cm 20.0 20.0 5+ 4/2
> Phoenix " 50 30cm 8.3 25.0 5+ 2/2
> Vampire " 60 30cm 10.0 30.0 5+ 1/2
> (transports 4)
> Doomwing " 53 15cm 26.5 26.5 4+ 4/2
> Firelord " 31 30cm 10.3 11.5 5+ 1/3
> Gargoyle " 16 15cm 16.0 16.0 3+ 1/1
> Harridan " 50 30cm 8.3 10.0 5+ 1/5
>
> Comment:
>
> The thing that stands out is that gargolyes seem to be very
> expensive compared to Harridans, even taking in account their
> higher armour. Also the fire prism is expensive, again even
> taking in account that it fires anti-tank shoots.

 As you can see this puts a different picture on the various
 aircraft performances. The Harridan & the Firelord have great
 firepower vs other aircraft, but very low intercept value.

Below is a chart for comparing the performance aircraft
in dogfights (it can also be used workout the possible
affect of flak on aircraft).

Firepower of|Armour of| % of | % of | Total
 attacking |attacked |aircraft| aircraft |
 aircraft |aircraft | damaged|shoot down|
       1 6 13.8 2.8 16.6
       1 5+ 22.2 11.1 33.3
       1 4+ 25.0 25.0 50.0

       2 6 12.7 17.9 30.6
       2 5+ 17.8 37.8 55.6
       2 4+ 5.6 69.4 75.0
       2 3+ 11.1 77.8 88.9

       3 6 42.1
       3 5+ 70.4
       3 4+ 87.5
       3 3+ 96.3

       4 5+ 80.3
       4 4+ 93.8
       4 3+ 98.8

       5 6 59.8
       5 5+ 86.9
       5 4+ 96.9

Note: I couldn't be bothered working out the rest of
      % for damaged and shootdown, but the trend
      is for a greater portion of the aircraft that
      are hit, to be shootdown, the greater the
      firepower of the attacker. So a Harridan
      would most likely shootdown 90% plus of
      any fighter it hits.

An Example of how to use the chart above

If a Thunderbolt intercepts a Harridan, the Thunderbolt
has 55.6% chance of hitting the Harridan (either
damaging it or shooting it down), if the Harridan is not
hit it has a 86.9% chance of hitting the Thunderbolt
(either damaging it or shooting it down).

--
 Sean Smith

 Home - Seans_at_...