RE: {Epic} Braincrusha gun (was: Re: [Epic] Ork units that Imiss.)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:41:23 -0500

>>> I'd say what it
>>>
>>>How can you say that a 100cm 3+ -3save shot is "of limited usefulness"?
>>>In 2nd edition (the only one I played) it was the best orky shot under the
>>>gutbuster, and the best way of blasting SH tanks.
>>>Every single Braincrusha had a 1/3 chance to destroy, say, a Tempest:
>>>2/3 of hitting * 1/2 of Tempest failing his save.
>>>
>>-----> Then let me rephrase that:
>> I'd say what the braincrusha was in 1st or 2nd ed is of limited
>>RELEVANCE. We're in a different game now.
>
>True, but the whole start of the thread was "Things I miss from Space
>Marine". It seems to me that a discussion of the old unit stats is
>kind of necessary when trying to translate them e40k terms. You could
>make up stats for completely new units, but then the thread would be
>"Things I miss that never existed" ;).
>
>David

-----> The ongoing argument was whether to use a barrage or megacannon
(ala 1st ed) or a death ray / at-shot (ala 2nd ed) and the question was
raised
that since units were being based off of their 40K counterparts, the
relevant
question was "what does it do in 40K" - the answer is "it doesn't exist
in 40K"
so we could call it what we want. Many units using basically the same
mini
bear little to no resemblance to what they did in an earlier edition, so
trying
to convert what it did in the old version into the new edition is
off-kilter. The most
you can really do is say it had a big gun - OK, the question is what
KIND of gun.
That's where the disagreement & discussion was at, and people were
supporting
their points by what it did in V1 or V2 - E40K ain't based on 1 or 2 -
it's based
on 40K (allegedly). Shokk attack guns are different now, Ork Tanks are
different,
speedstas & dragstas are different , etc, so quit worrying about what it
DID and
come up with what it should DO.

Chris Miller
(who at this point still likes AT and making 'em cheap)