RE: [Epic] Hello (E40K???)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:48:34 -0500

>I dissagree somewhat that e40k lacks the variety of SM (unless you
>define variety as a mass of poorly defined and conflicting rules).
>First, it should be (and has been) noted that the rules for e40k
>have not been fully released. The SM and TL rules without the
>suppliments have short army lists just as e40k does.
        Supposedly there are no more boxes coming, but I would
        not be upset if there was one (with some substance)

> Second,
>alot of this so-called variability was simply glitz. For example,
>you can argue that devestators, thunderers, IG support units, and
>Dark Reapers were "unique" units, but they weren't really. They
>fulfilled the exact same role in all armies. Likewise, there was
>a difference in the stats of ork bikes, buggies, trikes,
>gobsmashas, bowelburnas, and schorchers; but there wasn't any
>real difference in how they played on the field (not if you played
>them right).

-----> But my bonebreaks were different from my b-wagons which
        were different from my braincrushas... and my battlefortresses
        were different from each other...and my CLANS were different
        ...sniff...it still hurts...

>Also, the current detachment lists provide as much "unique feel"
>as the old card system. For example, I find my orks in the
>exact same situation as in SM/TL: all my heavy support weapons
>(Stompers, Big Gunz, ect) have to fielded as support units.
>
>Still, the orks at least have lost alot of units which were very
>unique to their army. I'm hoping that at least some of these
>will reappear (but I'm actually not hopeful that the infantry
>will come back, since there aren't any minis made for them any
>more). It would be nice if they got back some of the units
>which went AWOL in e40k, but in any case, the orks are not
>simply an imperial army with a different color scheme.

-----> at least they are still different...just not as different as they
were...

>>But don't worry, GW said that it would never be any Special Rules
>>for Epic 40k but read the White Dwarf : you will find some new
>>rules for the Space Marines and in the next issue it will be the
>>turn of the Orks...
>
>Did WD say that? I hope so. I love it when I get new toys!
>
>David

Let's all cross our fingers...

Chris Miller