[Epic] more painting Space Marines

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 08:50:16 -0500

Well, I tried my Star Wars Stormtrooper plan last night, and I
think it would be too hard--too much time spent per figure.

I started with minis sprayed white. I did a black wash, and then
went back and painted white on it so I would have a white figure
with black detail. I did sorta get that effect, but the white
looked sorta dirty, and I don't want to have to give multiple
coats. I suppose I might have been able to keep a whole buch
of cotton swabs on hand to wipe off black wash before it dirties
the areas I don't want black, but that seems like it would be
hard to be consistent.

I did like the look of the white figures just after the black
wash, however. The wash went very nicely into the detail. In
the past I've never been very good at doing a wash, but I used
an idea someone on a newsgroup mentioned once--water down the
paint I'm using for the wash (he was using inks) with a clear
matte coat instead of or in addition to water. I think it held
to the detail much better than it had in the past. So now
I'm considering the very simple approach of spraying them white
and washing them black.

Because I've already got some Space Marine stuff painted green
I decided to give that another try before choosing another scheme.
(This all started by me thinking I'd like to try another color
so the Space Marines show up better against green flocking and
green terrain. Especially since I'm going to use individual
Epic figures to play some (haven't decided which) skirmish level
game sometime.) So I gave them a light coat of green (it was
watered down some, and the white underneath made it brighter)
and then washed with forest green thinned with matte clear coat.
They look good, too, and I've already got 10 green Land Speeders
and 9 green Rhinos, so I'll probably stick with that.

But I'll have to find some use for those white/black-washed
guys. I like 'em, too.

andy