Re: [Epic] New Rules, SHORAD units

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 17:48:29 -0400

> SHORAD Missile Units

Wait, there's more? :-)

> Any Vehicle or War Engine unit armed with a "Fire Power" (i.e. not a
> SHW) type weapon may be upgraded to be a SHORAD missile unit for a
cost
> of 10 points per unit. This upgrade may not be added to a unit that
has
> any weapon upgrades (Flak, Close Support, Artillery)

Why not let SHWs use the SHORAD missile?

> * If placed on "Special" orders they count as a flak unit, at full
> strength and use all the flak rules.

If this is an added missile, why would it use the FP of the unit?

> * If placed on "Over watch" orders they may act as either a flak unit
or
> a normal FP unit. They may move up to 5cm as per normal, but if they
> move each unit is at -1 FP if used in a flak role. If used as a flak
> unit during the movement phase they may not fire as a FP unit in the
> shooting phase.

I like the idea of assigning other than 'special orders', but why would
they be able to do this while Flak units are not?

> Reality Check Notes:
> SHORAD Missile units, in real life, are designed to be fired from
short
> halts, or even on the move. Once the missile has left the launcher
> vehicle, it is guided by on board systems, allowing the launcher to
"get
> the hell out of Dodge". This is why they are allowed to move and
still
> act as a flak unit. The idea of gun fired missiles is rather old,
with
> both the US Army and the Soviet Army using them for the last 20 years
or
> so in an anti-tank mode. The US Army is working on (or at least was,
> the project may have been axed by congress) an anti-helicopter
missile
> to be fired from the main gun of the M1A1 MBT.

Good explanation and reasoning. However, perhaps it would be
reasonably effective and similar to just allow non-specialized (i.e.
CS, Arty, etc.) FP-only units to be upgraded to the Flak ability (i.e.
SHORAD) for a certain cost? OTOH, I like the ability to move and fire
at -1FP - perhaps the upgrade should add a 2FP Flak ability to the
upgraded unit, regardless of original FP or SHW? It does sound like
this is an independent weapons system, after all.

Thanks again for the great ideas!

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius