Re: [Epic] New Rules ADA Missiles

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 17:42:05 -0400

> HIMAD Missile
> Any unit that is armed with a "Vortex missile" type weapon may be
> upgraded to HIMAD for a cost of 20 points. This cost is per unit, not
> per missile in the case of units with more than one Vortex missile
> installed. The cost is to reflect the cost of fire control equipment
on
> the launcher and the more or less minor modifications to the missile
it
> self.

I like this idea, I would also like that to extend to the 'krooz
missiles' on Mega-Gargants. Just seems appropriate. Now this means
that Eldar and Tyranids cannot have HIMAD, right?

> * After normal flier missions are declared any HIMAD unit may be
> declared to be in Air Defense mode. This places the detachment on
> "Special" orders. For the non-air defense units in the detachment
this
> acts as either another type of "special orders" (i.e. Flak or Prep
fire)
> or as "Over watch".

So a Titan with a HIMAD missile on special orders would also be able to
fire and move normally or not?

> Move RNG FP Assault Armor
> Flier 0 0 6/6 6+

I would also tone this down to 6/3. Why even bother giving it an armor
value since it's a one-shot and higher intercept than anything else?

> The idea that a missile unit may be used against both aerial and
ground
> targets is not as off the wall as it sounds. Several ADA missile
systems
> are capable of being used in a surface to surface role, and ATGM
systems
> are some times used in an anti-helicopter mode. Most naval missile
> systems are dual role as well.

True, but I doubt that the effect is the same as the unmodified Vortex
Missile. I would suggest that perhaps a Vortex or Krooz Missile
converted to HIMAD would count as a Heavy Barrage or 3x Anti-Tank or
whatever one-shot if used on ground targets rather than as a Vortex
Missile. Unless you are really creating a wormhole in the air, in
which case the air effect should be different, IMHO.

Nice rules! Thanks again for expanding the game,

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius