Re: [Epic] Detachment size strategy?

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 22:53:34 -0700

Chip & Rachel Hannum wrote:

> Is there a consensus or rule of thumb for detachment sizes (excluding War
> Engines of course) or is this matter still up to experimentation (my designs
> have been around 300-400 pts)?

Still undecided. Personally, I favour a mix. 400 pt units and 150 pt
units.

> Also, couple of "newbie" questions:
>
> 1) BM's and SHW's - if I understand this issue correctly, if I have a
> detachment with mixed standard FP weapons and SHWeapons each BM either
> reduces total FP by 1 OR removes one SHW and it is my choice how it is
> resolved. correct?

Correct. This is confirmed in WD 211.

> 2) In the shooting phase do you resolve non-FP SHW's (e.g. death rays and
> anti-tank shots) before or after the generic firepower weapons, or is it your
> choice?

Choice.

> 3) Any suggestions as to what would be a good army size (as in total supply
> of minis) to aim for given the following: I will be building two or three
> armies (Space Marines, Orks, and probably Chaos) both for variety's sake and
> because I'll be supplying the minis I'll be playing my brother and friend
> with when we get together ("Cool game but I would have *never* picked this up
> if I'd seen it in the store, way too much time involved...") I'm looking to
> play games lasting between one to three hours, four on the outside depending
> on the size of the particular army used that battle. I was thinking of
> around 2,000 pts of vehicles and infantry and approximately 1,000 pts of War
> Engines for each of the races... too few, superfluous amount of minis, or
> just right?

About right.

Personally, I'm looking at 3 MegaGargants, 2 Great Gargants, 2 Gargants,
12 Battlefortresses, 120 Battlewagons, 14 Speedstas, 40 Buggies, 30
BigGunz/PulsaRockets, 12 Stompas, and 200 or so stands of Infantry. Plus
assorted air support, Squiggoths, Dreadnaughts etc. But this is
admitedly extreme, and good for 6-hour battles with multiple people on
each side.

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture