Re: [Epic] E40k - How it sells

From: Christian Nielsen <raveallnight_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 05:11:28 -0700 (PDT)

---Philip Troy Routley wrote:

> I was down at my local gaming store the other day, chatting with the
owner.
> He claims that E40k is selling better here (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan)
then
> anywhere else in Canada - he has sold more copies then the GW stores
(1 in
> Vancouver, a few in Ontario). So I asked how many copies he has
sold - 12.
> There's another gaming store in town, but I have no idea how many
copies
> they have sold.
>
> Assuming the other store has sold half as many, 18 copies for a city
with a
> population of c. 180,000 is pretty good: 1 person in 10000 owns the
game.
> But if we are outselling places like Toronto, it doesn't bode well
for the
> games popularity country-wide.
>
> Anyone know how it is selling in the rest of the world?
>
> Troy

Well, here in Sydney (4 GW stores), it appears that most Epic 40K
owners are the store staff. They ran a big holiday campaign to try to
sell the game, but I don't know wether they sold one copy. The
problem is that ever since GW was taken over by Milton Bradley, their
target group has shifted from 16-25 yr olds to 10-15 yr olds, and this
age group finds it hard to enjoy strategy gaming, or have the patients
for Epic. Not surprisingly, WH 40K has been selling like hotcakes in
recent times; EZ2C death and destruction really capture the
imaginations of children.

Christian