Re: [Epic] Detachment size strategy?

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 10:55:51 -0400

Chip,

> Hi all, I'm both new to Epic 40,000 and this list so forgive me if
this has
> already been beaten to death...

Welcome to the list.

> Is there a consensus or rule of thumb for detachment sizes (excluding
War
> Engines of course) or is this matter still up to experimentation (my
designs
> have been around 300-400 pts)?

A good question and one which is still under discussion. The consensus
seems to be between 250 and 400, so you are right on target. I have
found limited use for larger detachments, but I try to make sure never
to have fewer than four detachments on the table, even in small games.

> 1) BM's and SHW's - if I understand this issue correctly, if I have
> detachment with mixed standard FP weapons and SHWeapons each BM
either
> reduces total FP by 1 OR removes one SHW and it is my choice how it
is
> resolved. correct?

Correct.

> 2) In the shooting phase do you resolve non-FP SHW's (e.g. death rays
and
> anti-tank shots) before or after the generic firepower weapons, or is
it your
> choice?

Your choice, but you should declare the SHW targets from a detachment
at the same time as FP declaration. If you fire FP first and it kills
the targets you declared for your SHWs, oh well...

> around 2,000 pts of vehicles and infantry and approximately 1,000 pts
of War
> Engines for each of the races... too few, superfluous amount of
minis, or
> just right?

With two players, a 2,500 point game should be in your time range. If
you're willing to go to four hours, I would say a 3,000 would
definitely fit. Mind you, I've fought 2,000 point games that have
lasted 6 turns and four hours and I've fought 2,000 point games that
have lasted 2 turns and 1.5 hours. YMMV.

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius