RE: [Epic] My DexCon Epic 40k experiences...

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 07:32:02 -0400

---Francois Bruntz wrote:

> Is an Imperial army (I mean Space Marine + =
Imperial Guard + Adeptus

> Mecanicus) not too powerfull? I'm one of these=
 fundamentalists who

> believe that the only way is a total Space Marine =
army or a total

> Imperial Gard army. OK perhaps with some Titans or Heav=
y Vehicles

> from the Adeptus Mecanicus. What do you think about this?

A=
lthough this question was not addressed to me, I'd have to agree with
Fanco=
is. Although it is now perfectly vanilla to have marines and
Guard in the =
same army, it just doesn't feel right to me. It takes
away a lot of the ch=
allenge by just saying "Well, my Guard army
doesn't have any assault units.=
.. I'll just take a thunderhawk with
some termies". I just feel that when =
I am playing with such a mixed
force, I am playing with cheese, and for me,=
 winning with cheese is
not very fulfilling.

I wouldn't exactly call it ch=
eese, but it is an advantage to field troops that are good
at everything. Y=
ou have cheap cannon fodder, great tanks, good assault troops, good aircove=
r, cheap firepower, the best artillary, the best titans ect... No other rac=
e has this. What I usually see is marines with guard artillary.
        This is o=
ne observation i had:has anyone notices that shooting seems to be an a very=
 ineffictiv way to kill things except with ant-tank weapons. This is what m=
akes the land raider so cheesy, it is cheap and available in large numbers.=
 The Tyranids have a similar ability in the exocrine(which is not as underp=
riced however). No other race has the ability of field massed ant-tank shot=
s like this.(Support weapons don't count, as they have weak armour, while t=
he raider and exocrine are well protected). This also seems to be the only =
way to kill imperial titans (I think void shields should have their own arm=
our value, maybe 4 or 5). Just some thoughts
------------------------------=
-----
"Your incorrect assumptions are threefold."
"You assume law still rei=
gns in the Five Galaxies"
"You assume that we would be bound by precedents =
and precepts from the last 10 million years."
"But your most incorrect assu=
mption of all is to assume that we care."
                                        -David Brin, Infinity's Sh=
ore