RE: [Epic] Hello

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 12:58:16 -0500

>> > What were typical squat forces that people used? I had one regular
>> > opponent in SM/TL that liked the squats. His army usually went
>> > something like this:
>> >
>> > 3 Overlord Companies (for a total of 9 gas bags)
>> > 3 Colossi
>> > 1 Biker Company
>> > 2 Gyrocopter Companies
>> >
>> > Occaisionally he'd throw in a Warlord Titan Battlegroup or a marine
>> > infantry company in THawks. Don't think I ever saw a squat
>> > infantryman except for a Grand Warlord now and again.
>
>Okay wiseguys. You're an IG general facing this army. What do you
>*do*? What units are most useful against Overlords and SHVs?

        Well, I'd start with some hydras - 2 detachments
        Shadowswords - yeah the OL's get a save, but they'll get it anyway
                        and this way you don't need to worry about the
                        "hitting" part.
        IG Heavy Co - target whatever comes close.
        Arty Co - fire the basilisks first, down come the void shields, then
                  fire the bombards and crunch the colossi...

This guy doesn't have much infantry, so I'd think twice about spending
much
on CC troops. Maybe an ogryn group to tackle those who did get too
close...
A Bike or RR detatchment could seize objectives -OR- screen the
arty/heavy
troops, but that's the most I'd take. ( I like the idea of the RR co,
but not here)

Titans: Wouldn't mess with the small stuff: Warlord battlegroup (or two)
or a reaver group. Fire control centre's will be nice, some gatling
blasters
(for the shields) and volcano cannons. Plasma guns might be useful but I
think
the other combos will get more done. If you want to take it to the
colossi, get
a chain fist and some melta guns and ask 'em to "step outside".

Final thought: Although I never saw one fielded locally, a leman russ co
might
work pretty well in this situation. I believe it has one 4+ main gun.

Theory: You need good "hitters" (4+) really more than massive save mods.
You
could certainly go for quantity with a tac co or two, but 5+ with no
save mod
ain't much help against the colossi or the gyros & blimps. The heavy co
can
knock down shields, pick off bikers, and go for volume against the OL's.
Both
they and the arty co need some bodyguards, so I'd probably take an ogryn
det
and a RR/bike det to defend and seize as needed.

>(i.s. Aaron--if you ever, ever do something like this, I'm gonna whack
>you. :) )

I believe that's a policy I might adopt myself...
( A squat army with NO land train? NO foot troops? NO Goliath? Methinks
these are Rogue Squats of some kind...)

Chris Miller