RE: [Epic] [EPIC] Ordo Malleus

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 12:23:08 -0400

>>Heck, the majority of marines probably haven't even heard
>>of them, the=
y are so segregated.

>I seem to recall that Imperial troops other than the=
 Grey Knights that were
>exposed to Chaos were either mind wiped (in the ca=
se of valuable troops like
>Marines) or killed (in the case of expendable t=
roops like Imperial Guard).
>However with the release of 2nd ed WH40K and t=
he new Imperial Guard like the
>Mordian troops etc ... they don't seem to m=
ind the corruption influence as much.

>I think for verification of this c=
heck the volume of Realms of Chaos which
>had the ordo list.

You're right =
about the old stories of marines being mind-wiped and the
IG being executed=
 (KIA...), all to prevent humanity from knowing the
aweful truth that chaos=
 actually exists.

I always liked this little bit, but it did begin to grat=
e against the
rest of the "social cosmos". I think the original idea was t=
hat chaos
incursions came unexepectedly and not all that frequently. Howev=
er,
when chaos and the Eye of Terror got built up in the fluff, chaos
had =
a major base of operations and with people playing choas armies,
it gives t=
he feeling that incursions were popping up every-where.
So the newer fluff =
talks of a large force maintained on permanent
standby in the nearby syste=
ms to counter chaos incursions. If you
are going to maintain a huge stand=
ing army to fight chaos, you can't
be constantly mind-wiping and executing=
 the garrison forces.

Also, with the kinder, gentler GW, chaos has sort of=
 "come out of the
closet". The knowledge of its existence is not as big a =
secret
anymore.

A part of this was the changeover of genestealers from ch=
aos to Tyranid. the stealers used to have an ovipositor attack that could t=
urn people(and orks!!) into hybrids. This is why troops were executed, of c=
ourse they also used to virus bomb planets infected by chaos. Also, I belie=
ve originally deamons couldn't exist outside the eye of terror without a ps=
ycher to posess. They then warped the psycers body into thier own form. In =
40K you used to be able to field deamon possed ork warpheads. These were am=
using. You also could create your own deamons and deamon princes.
--------=
---------------------------
"Your incorrect assumptions are threefold."
"Yo=
u assume law still reigns in the Five Galaxies"
"You assume that we would b=
e bound by precedents and precepts from the last 10 million years."
"But yo=
ur most incorrect assumption of all is to assume that we care."
                                        -Dav=
id Brin, Infinity's Shore