RE: [Epic] New to Epic

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 16:14:54 -0400 (EDT)

>Actually, I think you were a bit hard on 2ed. The rules were fairly
>sound, they only broke down on a few ocations, You mentioned one.
>Of course there were lots of special rules that did not cause
>arguments and were still fun. For instance weirdboyz, Deathstalkers,
>deamons causing fear, the Avatar, these all added a little to the
>game without having a big effect.

Well, maybe. But in my experience the rules broke down alot, and it
wasn't until you had played within a group for a couple months that
you developed enough house rules and unwritten assumptions to finish
a game without a rules problem cropping up.

Also, I felt like someone had to advocate the game, since all the
other posts were bashing it. I also thought that alot of critism
was not really very relevant to the original question at hand
(i.e. which game should a new player buy). Complaining that e40k
sucks because the old minis aren't compatable and it "just doesn't
feel like the old Space Marine" isn't very relevent to a person
who hasn't ever played SM/TL. While it is true there are fewer
unit types in e40k, I just wanted to point out that there is a
very big down side to all that variation.

And then there were all the really nasty cheese you could pull on
people. Land 3 thunder hawks behind an enemies line. Out come
the chaos marines. The first takes over your best unit, which
then proceeds to blow the hell out of your second best unit. For
good measure, it eats a vortex missle, and then 2/3s of your
largest infantry unit get wiped out by a plague fart. Okay now
it's your turn. Which is just as well, because otherwise chaos
would never stand a chance against those 20 waveserpents...

Ooops, I'm starting to froth again ;). Seriously, it really is
an excellent game, but to call it "flawless" is a stretch. It's
just that people have grown so accustomed to the fixes, they
forget the problems ever existed. But new players have to go
through that experience, and I don't think it's worth it since
e40k is much easier and it's just as fun.

David