Re: [Epic] E40k bashing...

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 22:03:54 -0400

First, I hope I didn't detract from the list by venting like that.

Second...

> That's OK dude, but I think you need to consider why there has been
so much
> "E40K bashing" on the list lately.

Thanks for the reply, Brett. I absolutely understand your points and
they're well taken. I don't like to delete messages that I disagree
with - I prefer to read them and try to understand them. When I wrote
my message, I was convinced that we were heading towards a major thread
that was mainly attacking E40k because of what GW did to SM/TL. I
sympathize with that, but I don't want to kill a good game because of
it and believe me this is a very uncomfortable position for me as I've
written my share of anti-GW vent posts.

As far as I can tell, GW have written three truly excellent, elegant,
fun systems (strictly IMHO). I think the latest Blood Bowl (only with
Deathzone added), Epic 40k and Man O' War (which needed some balancing
but was still incredibly fun) top my list. Right now, E40k is the only
one that is actively supported and I've loved every game I've played.
I'd like to get that across to new players, because it really caught me
by surprise. I thought I was a cynical seen-everything anti-GW type
until I played Epic 40k. I still dislike GW's marketing folks, but I
love this game and its design. I do not like what they did insofar as
changing SM/TL drastically, OTOH, if they changed Warhammer Fantasy
(which I also play a lot) this drastically BUT the end result was a
really fun, clean system I would be happy on the whole. Heck, I
shelled out $$ a year ago to get the new Fantasy + Magic and they
hardly changed them - much better organized manual, but nothing major.
I would have rather had them overhaul the damn thing for the money I
paid.

Anyway, if we ever meet, I would be happy to play you in SM/TL and I'm
sure we'd have a lot of fun. We'd probably also see eye to eye on a
lot of GW stuff, but in this case I wanted to make sure that what I
feel is the truth about E40k is getting out. IMHO, it is a really fine
game and the best that Andy and Jervis have come up with in a while.

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius