[Epic] E40k bashing...

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 08:55:05 -0400

Allright, sorry to contribute to this, but I have to get this out.

I for one could care less which of the existent versions of Epic each
list member likes to play. I'm here to talk with other gamers, not
discuss anti-GW feelings with bitter folks (I've got plenty of my own,
believe me, but I'm tired of talking about it). We've got a mix of
E40k and SM/TL players. I've noticed that most of the E40k players
seem to keep silent when these rants occurr - which means that we've
basically achieved a soliloquoy.

I can't imagine most readers are interested in hearing how much E40k
sucks (I've played it a lot now, and it does not suck and I'm not a
newbie when it comes to wargaming) or how much GW sucks (we all know
that already). If that makes you feel good, fine, but I for one would
prefer to not have to read it. A lot of the bashing also comes in the
form of 'look what they did to the armies!'. I realize what happened,
but as far as criticizing the game itself - you have to play it to
criticize it and I've seen what appears to be a lot of criticism from
non-players. I wouldn't go around dissing SM/TL when I've only played
it once a few years ago or never. That just can't be a truly informed
opinion.

I'm interested in hearing about SM/TL and what units were in it and
what tactics were like, etc. I greatly enjoyed all the posts
converting knights, squats, battle honors, et. al. to Epic 40k. I've
also read and learned from every post on SM/TL. When a new gamers asks
which to play, instead of acting like our politicians, how about we
point out what's good about 'our' system rather than what we think is
bad about the other? As far as I can tell, they're both very enjoyable
games - is there something wrong with that?

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius