RE: [Epic] Map Movement

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 07:33:38 -0400

James Nugent wrote:

> Sauron1 writes;In my proposed campaign,I planto us=
e a set of maps of the
> French/Belgium border in 1:100000 scale or 1cm=1=
km.For map movement
> simplicity I thuoght that if ijust let board movement=
 equal road movement
> it would work out.
> For example
> Orc Battle wagon =
board movement is 25cm per turn so Orc Battle wagon map
> movement is 25 Km=
 per day

> Infantry movement is 10cm per turn so Infantry map movement i=
s 10km per
> day
>
> You could make modifiers for terrain, for instance a =
forest would be half movement, except for skimmers. You could also have ro=
ads give a
movement bonus like
> -----------------------------------------=
> "Yo=
ur incorrect assumptions are threefold."
> "You assume law still reigns in =
the Five Galaxies"
> "You assume that we would be bound by precedents and p=
recepts from the last 10 million years."
> "But your most incorrect assumpt=
ion of all is to assume that we care."
> =
      -David Brin, Infinity's Shore
----------------James Nugent----------------------------------------

> =

Sauron1=
 writes;Yes we will be using the road bonus rough terrain feature
as the m=
ap as I postted is of the current French -Belgium border
in1;100000(1cm==
1km)scale.The problem is actually the Eldar scimmer Apc as
the original ru=
les limit its height of flight and as the map has steep
river gorges I am =
thinkig of limiting its ability to skim over steep
riges,but I am working =
on that and so far it is my greatest rule problem.
Any sugestions? sauron=
1

I don't know much about the original rules, but you could just mark the=
 areas on the map that skimmers couldn't pass, these I guess would be impas=
sible to everyone. (cept flyers). This is probably a good idea, skimmers mi=
ght have difficulty with certian terrain features. Just mark them as impass=
ible to skimmers, or maybe make them take some sort of dangerous terrain te=
st. Another idea is only make them impassible to large skimmers. Small scou=
t detachments, like jetbikes and landspeeders could make it. it picture the=
se being used as scouts.
        I know a campaighn where we had rules for flyer=
 transporting. Flyers could transport units for a given time period, but co=
uld not take place in battles then. For instance in a given day we let a Th=
awk make three trips. I.e it would transport 18 units(inf only). We also le=
t them go pretty far. For a T-hawk I would say about 50(it's old movement) =
and for a Vampire, maybe 75(it didn't exist in Sm/Tl, so I'm pulling out a =
number that is fast, but slower than a nightwing). of course they could onl=
y transport infantry, so that would limit their usefullness in this game.
=

Just my suggestions, when you are done, could you post your campaign rules=
? I'd be interested in seeing them, and other people probably would also. L=
ooks cool so far.
--------