RE: [Epic] New to Epic

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:45:53 -0500

>> Throw enough painted mini's out on a table and start chucking handfuls
>> of> dice, and you'll find yourseld having a good time pretty quick. Find a
>> local> store or club to play at, and other people will start to pick up on
>>it,
>> too.
>> You can get a nice thing going this way.
>>
>> Chris Miller
>
>Sauron1 writes;Chris,I beleave as I think you do that the specifics of
>the game are often not as important as the comradship or advercity of a
>good game with friends. My Wargame club plays the entire spectrum of the
>hobby and I enjoy whaterver we play! sauron1

-----> I just wanted to reiterate by replying to this: It's right.
Even a bad game can be fun. I ran Rifts for a year,and anyone
who's tried to play can confirm how utterly lame the rules are.
But...it has a lot of intersting ideas/background/artwork and
all of my players could find several PC types they were nuts
about, so we gave it a shot. Probably the longest regularly
played with the most players campaign we ever tried. I
wouldn't recommend the rules to anyone, but with enough
work, it's a blast. Just remember you're mainly there to have
fun, 'cause I don't think anyone's winning any money at Epic,
and no one's name is in the paper because of it. If you want
to use weird rules or changes it's mainly a matter of
convincing your group to try them - not everyone else.
        I can tell you that having rules cover every case is a
 mixed blessing. I've played Star Fleet Battles since 1981,
and the game is on it's 4th edition - rules are very much
worked out, but earlier supplements were mostly errata
and corrections covering new devices added to the game in
the last supplement or expansion. It's now a game where
knowing the correct rule matters more than what race you
are playing. section "G" might cover ship systems, "G13"
might deal with the cloaking device, "G13.10" might cover
the energy cost of cloaking, "G13.125" might be the chart
for phasing in & out" etc. I kid you not. It's a long rule book
and the sequence of play takes up 2 columns on a page and
a half of normal 81/2 by 11 paper. Advanced Squad Leader
is similar in rules structure and philosophy in that the rules
cover everything. As I get older and have less time to play
I find the less rules-intensive games are the ones I like.
<End of wandering post>

Chris Miller