RE: [Epic] Army Sizes

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 14:29:02 -0500

> Yeah, I knew someone was going to bring up reality. Yes, your right.
> This is the old fact that GW can't deal with scale well, I wish they
> would quit trying to stick with it and give up. 1000 marines per chapter
> means you could loose a chapter a battle. Also, marines arn't quick to
> make, the need training, implantation, ect.

The only way to keep the old GW fluff is to assume that, in the Imperial
age, the number 1,000 is like the old Biblical number 40. That is, it
is a generic number that simply means "a lot." Sort of like the
way we use the word "millions" today. ('Then, after that, about a million
ork stands came charging over on my left flank and my line collapsed.')

Rewording the GW fluff so that it bacame more literally true, we would
have to say that there are "a lot" of marine chapters in the galaxy,
and that each of them is comprised of "a lot" of marines.

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.