Re: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:46:16 -0400

Mark,

> So have the Eldar lost a bit of what guns they had, and become
> viable in CC now? (Before, you could design a shooty force that
could

Though I've played a lot of E40k now, I haven't played much with the
Eldar. With that caveat in mind and my previous comments...

I'm a fan of loading guardians in wave serpents and falcons, keeping
them hidden until the assault phase and then engaging the enemy in
firefights (thus falcons are preferable). Jetbikes are fast enough to
get around at least one of the flanks, letting you direct the movement
of the broken enemy. With your strategy rating, you should win
initiative most of the time - if not, either use Brilliant Strategy or
wait until the right opportunity comes along. Eldar don't have to rush
as long as they stay in cover.

Whatever you do, don't pop up in the shooting phase if you intend to
assault in the assault phase. This has always led to trouble for me as
the enemy just loves to wait for your skimmers and then hammer 'em.
Once you've won the firefight, you can either retreat (if you lose
initiative in the movement phase) or if your opponent rallies and stays
put (and you win initiative, thus making him move first) set overwatch.
 The guardians will be close enough to get within 15cm (as they just
won a firefight at 15cm) and the falcons can help them out. 10
guardians + 10 falcons is 40 firepower and will tear that enemy
detachment a new orifice.

You can also use aspects to assault. I love wave serpents as aspect
transport vehicles. If you load up swooping hawks or warp spiders in
these things and put exarchs in the squads, you should definitely be
able to get into assault without being shot at. With an assault of 5
per squad, you should win. Make sure you bring Warlocks, though, that
extra +1 is sweet. With Wave Serpents, you should also be able to get
the non-jump pack type aspects into CC (30cm movement phase + 50cm
assault phase), which is good since I like the way the howling banshees
and striking scorpions look and would hate to leave them at home.

You do have to move towards the nearest detachment in the assault
phase, but if you position yourself carefully in the movement phase
this is not that much of a hassle. I generally only would use jetbikes
to try to do this, though. 80cm on assault orders gives you enough
leeway to make enveloping maneuvers. OTOH, they can also help out your
guardians and falcons in that firefight.

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius