Re: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:00:25 -0400

Eugene,

> However, I was specifically addressing the tactic suggested by
William
> Rood, which involves confronting your target at range of 15cms or
less, to
> take advantage of the assault firepower of wave serpents and
gaurdians. I
> would tend to think that this would lead to very heavy casualties,
because,
> needless to say, assault firepower is less than overwatch. I prefer
> support close assaults from a distance, with artillery.

William's tactic had a few bugs, mainly due to the way he was playing,
but with some modifications it is definitely viable. One way or
another, I appreciate the tactical discussion it spawned.

> The combined firepower of the overwatching marines, land raiders,
> whirlwinds, and warhounds smashed the Nid assault detachment. Because
of

From what I could see, it looked like there really wasn't much terrain
around. A lack of terrain will always favor he who is in overwatch and
has the field of fire. The Tyranid player would have been smart to
take some of that disrupt arty and pound your marines from beyond their
fire range until they were too disrupted to do anything worthwhile.
After all, the hive mind does have its moments...

Try fighting a battle with a lot more terrain on the board and these
types of tactics will work splendidly. Out in the open vs. Tac marines,
I would be inclined to stay just out of their range until I dropped my
falcons/wave serpents and guardians in for a firefight. The firefight
would rout them out of their cover and next turn's overwatch on my part
or even normal orders should hit them hard in the shooting phase.
Nightspinners and Biovores are great for suppressing marines in cover
and the dom's death ray does wonders as well.

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius