RE: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:48:20 -0400 (EDT)

>How do you get the wave serpants/guardians behind (or even beside) the
>enemy detachment to cut off a retreat?
>
> ---------ENEMY--------- <-- when assaulting you cannot move past
> G WS SH G WS the enemy unless every unit in the
> det. has been engaged by the hawks.
>
>Furthermore, unless there is another enemy behinde the detachment you are
>engaging, you can't move past them regardless of if they are all engaged
>since assaults must be toward an enemy detachment.
>
>This seems to restrict your tactic somewhat, seeing as the hawk detachment
>is going to have to be at least equal in number to the enemy det., and
>another enemy det. must be positioned to give your guardians a direction to
>move.
>

>Really? This is one thing i was confused about, do you have to engage
>every stand, or just engade the detachment. Personally I would allow
>this, because it make sense.

Yes, he is technically correct. However, what he says does not apply to
the particular situation that the tactic was used in. There, the
guardians were used to flank the engaged force (which is legal as long
as none of the above rules are broken). The force was destroyed
because it was pinned in the corner, and the only avenue of escape
was through the aspects. In this way, the table edges were effectively
used as encircling detachment. How the orks got themselves stuck in
that corner is a whole other question...

David