[Epic] Passing (out?) (was Re: Tactic Critique)

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 00:12:00 -0400 (EDT)

> >> I assume that this occurs because your opponent gets frustrated and
>> >fires
>> >an
>> >
>> >Well, I missed that one. I would say that it happens because we didn't
>> >know you could pass. What happens if both players pass - is the
>> >shooting phase over? I'm going to look this one up in the rule book
>> >right now.
>>
>> I missed it too. I have never heard of the "passing" rule. Could
>> someone please point it out to me? I know you can pass up a units
>> opportunity to fire in the FF phase in order to fire in the AV
>> phase, but I don't think you can simply pass and let/force your
>> opponent to fire another detatchment.

>The passing thing is in Epic 40k; you could well be right about SM2ed.

Ooops, circuits crossed. I thought we were talking about SM/TL,
something about the thread got me thinking about about SM/TL, but
I don't know what, since I forgot the origins.

>If both sides pass it probably would end the firing phase, but it doesn't
>specifically say that in the rules (I don't think).

That is a very annoying rule in that they left a very obvious caveat
unanswered. This is definetly a good one for the next Q&A, if Allen
would be so kind. I can see 2 possible solutions (house rules):

1 If both players pass the firing phase ends.
2 If both players pass, the first player will be forced to shoot with
   a detatchment.

I would probobly go with (1) since it makes more sense. I basically
see the rule directed at skimmers (since I can't see why else you
wouldn't shoot). Thus, I imagine a detachment of units (land raiders
for example), sitting and waiting for an eldar detachment (falcons
and fire prisms) to pop up. Everything else fires but the LRs, which
have orders to blast the fire prisms when they show themselves. The
eldar refuse to show, and the LRs have wasted their opportunity to
blast a different unit (so sad, so sorry :).

David