Re: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 00:11:57 -0400 (EDT)

>> Oh, sure, just put a negative spin on everything :). The hydra is,
>> arguably, a better dedicated AA platform. However, the hydra can
> ^^^^^
> I'm assuming you meant 'fire prism' here...

Emmm, what I actually meant was "the hydra CAN'T double". One
day I will learn to proofread (like you guys never make mistakes
or anything :).

>> double as a 45 cm pop-up-choose-any-target tank killer. This means
>> you can move it on the board 20-30 cm (or more), put it on "!" orders
>> the next turn, and if no targets present themselves, you can snipe
>> enemy units on the other half of the board.
>
> Unfortunately, you can only shoot at flyers if you're
>on Flak orders. But, on turns when your opponent's airforce is
>refueling, the fire prism is a heck of a lot more useful than
>the hydra.

You guys are all so negative! No wonder the eldar are a dying
race, they're all deeply depressed about themselves. ;) This
is true, you can't do both in one turn, but your opponent has to
commit his airunits before you have to commit your flak. So you
can evaluate the threat from air units and ground units before
deciding on the roll of the fire prisms. Also, the fire prism
remains useful if your opponent doesn't bring air units, while
the hydra is a bit expensive and short-ranged to be rolling
around like a tank (IMO). The ork flak wagons actually make
decent auxillery tanks, though (compared to the general crap
in the ork army).

>> Try doing that with
>> with a hydra. They cost the same as a land-raider and are more
>> versatile.
>
> More versatile how? They may have Flak, but the LRs
>have Transport (and twice the AT shots... gimme LRs anyday).

More versatile in what they add to the army. The land raider
can transport 2, but neither army lacks for transport. Though
both units have versatility, I don't think the land raider's
versatility is that useful because the marines don't really
need another troop transport; rhinos and thunderchickens work
just fine. The prism, on the other hand, can serve as both a
Flak unit and a main battle tank, both of which are unique and
useful roles in the eldar army (I consider the falcon a light
tank, because it is thin skinned and lightly gunned). Thus,
I consider the prism more versatile.

As for the relative capability of both units, I don't think
the transport capacity of the LR is a huge bonus because:
(1) transporting troops is not the primary roll of land
raiders and it doesn't give the marines anything they don't
already have, and (2) transporting troops does not make the
land raiders more effective. By comparison, the Flak ability
definitely gives the eldar something they don't have, and it
and the skimmer ability definity makes the fire prism more
effective.

I'm not saying the prism is as good a MBT as the LR, but I
think it's not bad, and it's ability to double as a flak unit
makes up for it's price (and it's faster and can skim). Also,
the skimmer ability also means that you get to inflict
your casualties first, since the enemy can't shoot you until
after you've shot them.

David