Re: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:58:43 -0400

> David wrote:
>
> Also, the fire prism
> remains useful if your opponent doesn't bring air units, while
> the hydra is a bit expensive and short-ranged to be rolling
> around like a tank (IMO). The ork flak wagons actually make
> decent auxillery tanks, though (compared to the general crap
> in the ork army).

I agree that the fire prism is a useful unit: it has the range to be
effective against flyers (unlike the other flak units) and can make pop-up
attacks (which not even the mighty land raider can).

I disagree about the "general crap in the ork army" though. Two
battlewagons cost only one more point than a predator, are harder to kill,
can carry troops, and have substantially better assault capabilities. I
appreciate that flakwagons can add useful firepower to a wagon mob, but the
45cm range of the battlewagons is a major point in their favour. They're
only 1 point more than bikeboyz, and a point less than a marine halfsquad.

Also, Battle Fortresses have double the assault factor of Imperial
superheavies. Their armour save is a 5+ rather than a six, but they cost 25
less points! Since the superheavies always seem to go down to deathrays and
anti-tank weapons anyway, the armour isn't a big loss. 'Sides, they too can
carry troops.

Of course, I had better like battlewagons; I have at least thirty 'cuz they
come in all the boxes...

Eugene