Re: [Epic] scenarios (long)

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 01:51:16 -0400

> >You wrote :
> >>Does anyone have any E40k scenarios they'd be willing to share with
> >>me? We're
> >>just getting into e40k here and would like some that aren't of the
> >>stock
> >>variety.....
> >>

> >Sorry I havn't got any good ones but I'm very interested in this
> >topic.
> >
> >How do you create a well balanced scenario for Epic? I'm fed up with
> >only "xxxx points vs xxxx points" battles (I think it's the same problem
> >I have with backgrounds, I like to know why I'm fighting even
> >for little battles...).
> >

> >Francois Bruntz
> >Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)
> >
> >Please visit my Epic page :
> >http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2370/
> >
> Giancarlo wrote: (sorry, I butchered the text a bit)

>A hs got more points than B, but
> this advantage is offset by different victory conditions, for example
> player A has to:
> - Kill a very fortified player B (siege scenario)
> - Move some of his troops across B table edge (blitz scenario)
> - Win despite the fact his larger army is arriving in multiple turns
(wawe
> assault scenario)
> - Win decisively before B receives reinforcements, or simply in a short
> number of turns.
> - Retrieve an item in a building before B steals it or destroys it

A lot of those sound very similar to scenarios from the epic 40k battle
book; Refight 5 -- Breakout, for example, is an example of a blitz
scenario,
Refight 2 -- Rescue is an example of a "retrieve an item" type of scenario.
I am actually fairly impressed with the variety and quality of scenarios in
the Epic 40k box. Since not everyone has access to the Battles Book, I
think it might be useful for me to describe one of the more interesting
scenarios it contains: SM/TL players, for example, might enjoy adapting
some of the scenarios for there own use. This isn't a transcript of the
stuff or anything, obviously; it's just a description of basically how the
scenario works.

Rescue is my favorite. The "rescuing player" (henceforth player a) deploys
a quarter of his army within a 60cm by 60cm square, located 15 cm away from
a short table edge. Player also deploys a counter in the square
representing the important person or thing that must be protected at all
costs. It may move with a friendly unit that touches it. Player b may
captere it in close combat: if this occurs, player b wins. Player b may
deploy no closer than 60 cm to the "square", and no closer than 60 cm to
the other short edge of the table.
Finally, player A deploys the hq units of each of the rest of his
detachments on the short table edge furthest from the "square". Player a
must exit the objective counter off this edge by turn 6 to win. (This would
probably require adjustment for SM/TL.)

Basically, the idea is player a has to link up his two forces and transfer
the objective out, player b has to capture the objective, regardless of the
cost.

> The other basic idea behind scenarios is about not points but army
selection,
> so you have:
> - Side A with bikes or tanks, side B with artillery or HQ. (Raid
scenario)
> - Side A with bikes or tanks, side B with a nice airstrip with landed
> aircrafr who have to take off to kill A

I've actually wanted to do this from the moment I saw the airstrips in the
Epic 40k box. If I come up with rules I'll post 'em.

> - Side A with anything, Side B with anything+ experimental units that A
has
> to destroy (Playtesting scenario :))
> - Both sides with absolutely mismatched units (each player chooses other
> player's army)
> - And more, more, more.
>
> I hope at leas some of thi Ideas will be useful for you.
>
> Michele

I like these ideas a lot; I think most of the general types of missions are
covered by the epic scenarios, but these offer some more variety.

To finish off, I'll offer a simple scenario varuation that I've used with
some success a few times: playing three sides. It makes the most sense if
one side is the Tyranids (I'll explain why). I have only played it in
SM/TL, so my suggestions for E40k are untested.

Choose one player to be the defender. The scenario; if for SM/TL, is the
Assault! scenario in SMB. The defender, however, gets double points --so if
you're playing a 3,000 point game, he gets 6,000. Of course, his troops
will cost double but, oh well, dat's how it works.

There are two attacking players, coming from opposite sides. The defender
places his hidden setup counters in the middle, and the two assaulting
players set up no closer than 40 cm from the edge of the defenders
deployment zone -- which should be reasonably wide. To reiterate, the two
attackers set up on opposite sides of the table, and the defender sets up
in the middle. Before any troops are placed, eight objective counters are
placed in the defenders DZ; they should be equally spread on both sides of
the table.

The attackers need the regular number of victory points to win; the
defender needs double.

Only one die roll is made for the initiative of both attackers; if it
matters, they can individually roll off to see which goes first/shoots
first. The defender gets to fire detachments twice as often as the
attackers, if (and only if) the defender alternates his fire between the
two attackers.

Basically, this is like having two games at once on the same table, but the
attackers can mess each other up.

When a detachment is broken, whichever player has killed the most units
from that detachment gets the victory points for it; and if this changes
later, then the victory points change as well.

How did we justify this happening? Ork warlord Chadzak Bigtoof was
rampaging merrily on the human world of Arden, when... the Tyranids came.
Bigtoof, after catchin his first glimpse of a Hierophant, decided it was
time to cut and run; unfortunately, his hulk had been destroyed by the hive
fleet, so he had no transportation! Undeterred, he decided to capture the
human held spaceport of Chandrak and hijack some humie vessels for his own
use. The humans were desperately evacuating civilians; they would hold out
as long as they could, but that didn't worry Bigtoof. No, Bigtoof was
worried that the Tyranids would get there first...

I think that the E40k scenario Dawn Assault could be adapted to this kind
of setup; the defender's reinforcements would be individually preallocated
(except for flyers) to enter from either of the two short sides of the
table, and they would have to enter within the defender's setup area. No
changes would be made to morale, etc; but the attackers should probably be
restricted to take and hold or capture objectives, to represent the fact
that everyone is interested in capturing spacecraft and holding launch
pads, etc.

Eugene