RE: [Epic] deathstrikes

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:30:43 -0500

>Actually, I think he overstated their effectiveness. They only move 10-60cm
>per turn (random roll d6x10) and in the first turn it must be straight
>ahead. In the next turn(s), the roll the same thing but if they roll a "6"
>they run out of fuel and have to attack something that turn or not at all.
>I frequently shoot them down with command stands - you move the missiles in
>the FF phase, so it is possible for a commander to move to near the missile
>and shoot it before it moves.
>
>These things hardly ever work if you want to expend some effort in stopping
>them, but if you just ignore them and hope they go away I guess you could
>well be sorry...

----> Well, remember, this guy he was playing had 60 of them. How many
stands on FF do you have...?
Also, if you time it right, the opponent will have 0 or 1 chance to
shoot them
down -depends on if you won or lost initiative. When I fired them, they
were usually
a) the last thing to go in FF
b) intended to get something within a relatively short range - the first
turn + maybe
one more is normally plenty to get where you need to go, barring 2
"1"s.Also, with a decent roll,
you can "walk" that barrage onto nearby high-value targets...

I've seen them break enough Ork Clans and Chaos Hordes to think they
work pretty
well, and my point was that they have actually been toned down in E40K
compared
to what they were. I still think so.

Chris Miller