Re: [Epic] roolzboyz: close combat weapons and holofields

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2097 11:13:46 -0400

> You wrote :
>
> >>The holofield saves against everything.
> >
> >Not precisely true. Holofield impart a "a 2+ saving throw against
> >any and all HITS they take, rather like a unit with a save." (page
> >65 of the Battles book, my emphasis).
>
> I read, in the French version, "any and all HITS they take, EVEN IN
> CLOSE COMBAT..." or something like this...
>
> > The point that is being
> >debated is that the auto-destroy is not a hit.
>
> Of course but you need a HIT to cause the auto-destroy.

Wait;since when? In close combat, a war machine gets to roll half as many
dice as it has damage capacity in an attempt to score hits on the
opposition. It is irrelevant, as far as the rules go, whether any of these
dice succesfully cause hits on the opponent, when you are deciding whether
a CCW causes catastrophic damage on the opposition. The only thing that
matters, according to the rules, is whether the titan with the CCW won the
close combat. I figure that winning the close combat means that the titan
has made contact with the close combat weapon, with the immediate result of
a dead opposing war machine.
> > As a matter of fact,
> >a titan does not need to score a hit at all to destroy with a CC
> >weapon;
>
> Sorry but I can't see how you can destroy a titan with a CC weapon
> without striking him...
> I see where's the problem, we don't have the same definition for a
> HIT.
> For me, a HIT (a "touche" in French) is something which causes damage
> to a unit.
> For example :
> A Land Raider targets a Falcon (for example :), you will roll
> 2x1D6 and for each 4+ the falcon will suffer a HIT.
> An other example is an assault space marine squad in close
> combat with a guardian squad, the marines just have won the combat
> and have to make a 3+ to make a HIT against the guardians and the
> guardians have to make a 5+ to make a HIT against the marines.
>
> This is a HIT for me.
>

> Francois Bruntz
> Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)

I agree completely. A titan with a close combat weapon can still score hits
along those lines; an undamaged Warlord, for example, would roll six dice
for hits in close combat, and would probably score hits with a few of
those. Holo-fields would of course save against those hits; I don't think
anyone is disputing that. However, the roll on the Catastrophic damage
chart is not, as far as I can tell, a hit like that, or caused by hits in
this sense, and rolls on the catastrophic damage table are not saved by
holo-fields.

Ultimately, I don't think very much more can be said; either you think that
the damage caused by a close combat weapon can be saved by holo-fields, or
you don't. In the absence of a specific ruling by Jervis (I think Alan said
something about putting this in the next buncha questions), we'll just have
to agree to disagree, unless this post of mine has convinced all you
heretics out there to follow the one true path of
no-save-from-holofields-vs.-close-combat-weapons.

Eugene