Re: [Epic] scenarios (long, also)

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2097 12:31:30 -0400

> I'm very interested in this scenario and I think I will try it.
> Could you post some summaries of your different battles with these
> rules?
>

> Francois Bruntz
> Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)
>
> Please visit my Epic page :
> http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2370/

Sure thing. I've played the scenario twice. Both games were a lot of fun
(the first espescially). We didn't quite understand all the implications of
the setup, so we weren't doing VP right (it was far too easy for the
defender to win), but I fixed that for my posting of the rules, so you
shouldn't have any problems (I hope). Both games were SM/TL.

The first game had the same backround as I gave in my post; Humies holdin'
a spaceport, Bigtoof and the 'Nids coming in from opposite sides trying to
capture it. Me and my buddy Peter wuz da Orks, Dan and Art were da 'umies,
and Noah and Robin were da 'Nids. It was a 4000 pt game. (Well, there were
about 4000 points of troops a side...12000 total; or 16000 if you just
count how many points were spent).

The Orks took a Gargant bigmob, a Goff mob with a lot of support
battlewagons, a big KOS with a lot of supporting warbikes, and an evil suns
mob (I think). Plus a wierdboy tower and a Dragsta to protect it. Our
entire force was mechanised or in wagons, except for the (large number of)
madboyz.

The 'Nids took a brood of three Hierophants, a pair of Dom's, a few hive
tyrants, a couple of exocrines, some termagants in mycetic spores, and
enough Genestealers to fill up the carrying capacity of the Hierophants
(its a shame they don't carry troops anymore). There coulda been some other
stuff, too, but they were the ones that mattered.

The humies had a cunnin' plan. They bought a loada knights and put them all
on the 'Nid side, hiding. On our side, they put a bunch of tarantulas,
squat thunderers, a colossus (yeah, dere were some stunties helpin the
humies), some berserkers, and a bunch of vindicators. I think they had some
basilisks and IG infantry too.

The board was a big city, with buildings from the SM/TL boxes. On the ork
side, there was a big cluster of buildings in the middle (including a
stronghold), protected in front with a ton of razor wire. This meant that
we had to go around either side. We sent most of the KOS and the Evil Suns
down the left -where, unbeknownst to us, the basilisks, IG infantry, and
tarantulas were. We sent the rest of the KOS, the Goffs, and two of the
Gargants up the right -where the berserkers and the Colossus were. The last
Gargant and the madboyz (cannon fodder, perhaps?) went up the middle.

The 'Nids deployed their Dom's and artillery in the middle, and the
Hierophants opposite our Goffs.

On the first turn, the 'Nids charged forwards,as did the two ork pincers on
each side. The first big surprise came when about twelve knights emerged
from concealed pits and sprinted into Close Combat with the Dominatrixes!
The knights suffered horrible casualties from biocannons, spore cysts, warp
blasts, and claws and fangs, but both Dominatrixes were annihilated by
repeated blows with power lances and chainfists. Only four knights remained
standing.

The madboyz were foiled completely by the razor wire; they were unable to
move past it at all, while merciless fire from the Thunderers thinned their
ranks.

The Ork pincer movement was extremely successful. The pitiful defenders
were either swarmed under weight of numbers or blasted out of cover by fire
from the Gargants. We were very glad the gargants mounted observation
posts; it made killing those dratted thunderers much easier. Casualties
were moderate, except among the madboyz, as we were too quickly into close
combat to take much fire. The vindicators were particularily easy victory
points; swarmed and destroyed.

The Tyranids eventually wiped out the knights with their exocrines and hive
tyrants (not before losing all the exocrines), while the Hierophants
sprinted forwards. However, there was no opposition to face; the Tyranid
side of the board was virtually empty (part of the humies cunnin' plan)!
Mycetic spores dropped from the skies, disgorging termagants, who slowly
stalked up behind a group of tarantulas firing into the orc horde. The
ending was mercifully swift...

A colossus emerged from cover to wreak horrible devastation among the Goffs
clearing out the last berserkers. The orcs shouted with anticipation, then
disappointment, as two ball rounds from the gutbusters went wide. Seeing an
actual live enemy, the foremost Hierophant went into a beserk overrun
assault, slamming into the back of the colossus. All of the colossus's rear
firing weapons blazed, coming very close to dropping the Titan where it
stood. The Titan then proceeded to win the combat by one (to the immense
frustration of the humies), and the colossus detonated in a blinding flare
of plasma, killing dozens of genestealers and nearly as many bikeboyz, who
had raced to take the objective the colossus rested upon.

At this point the Orks won on victory points as virtually the entire human
army had been annihilated and the orcs held five of the eight objectives
(thats enough victory points from the objectives alone; we captured one
more objective than would have existed in a 2 player game). (The 'Nids, I
think, held two and the humies the other.) Because we were doing victory
points wrong, the humies won too, cuz they only needed 65 instead of 90.
They had broken enough orcs that, with the VP from the Dom's, they had the
points. It was about three AM, so the humies went to sleep (cuz they had no
army left), but the Tyranids and Orks went head to head for a few more
turns --the orcs managed to hang on to most of their objectives, and there
was a heartwarming moment when a large building collapsed on five Lictors,
but mostly the Orc infantry was devoured by Titans with Ripper tentacles.
We ripped the leg off one... All of the gargants survived, of course.

I think that's plenty for the moment. If you want, I can write up the other
one too; the defender won that one fair and square, however you do the
victory points (although we were doing one of the rules wrong).

Eugene