[NetEpic ML] Re: Is Epic dead in your area?

From: Peter Ramos <pramos1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 21:16:18 +0000

Hi!

S.R.Gist wrote:

> Epic seems pretty weak these days in the mecca of gaming (Tulsa,
> Oklahoma,USA)! :-) It was much stronger here in the old days (before
> Epic40k). But it has always seemed to wax and wane here depending on when
> new editions came out and depending on how much support GW was giving
> it(sound familiar?). I queried a few store owners here and in Arkansas and
> they all pretty much said it is dead right now. One owner (an official GW
> store) said,"he can't give it away...". I played more then although I have
> decided to try to get going again with NETEPIC.

Same here. I casually frequent most hobby shops in the tri-state area of New
York and those that do carry GW have little or no epic. Heck my local retailer
(Men-at Arms) is/was one of the top national single store retailers in GW sales
and even he can't seem to sell the stuff.

> >And the grand daddie of questions!
> >
> >What do you think will be the FUTURE of epic?
> >
> Epic will slip and has slipped into the shadows of GW gaming but I am sure
> that in time GW will give it another shot as it seems Epic is a pet project
> for Jervis and the boys. I just hope they use a little more savvy next time
> around or we better all scarf up every figure we can get our hands on if we
> want to be playing it years down the road... So I guess I have cautious
> optimism about the game being re-released within the next five to seven
> years, until then I'll patrol Bartertown for some great deals!

I have no doubt it will be re-hashed at some point. The question is will we
LIKE the next offering? The current trend of simpler and simpler rules catering
to younger markets doesn't portend them making any "stimulating" epic rules for
the future.

One jot we definately share is the killing you can make on the trading circles
for picking up epic. People are so disenchanted with epic that some of the
deals that show up are quite remarkable. Ironically there are more new blisters
on the trade market than in some stores!

I guess would entertaining to specualte what form "epic" will take in the
future.

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/netepic