[NetEpic ML] Questions about Tyranids

From: Francois Bruntz <fbruntz_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 22:35:51 PDT

Salut � tous,

My regular opponent has just bought a Tyranid army and I've several
questions about the best way to fight the bugs.
I've fought them once during the SM/TL era and the result of the
confrontation was a disaster for my Space Marines.

First problem (the biggest one?) : Dominatrix. Yes, it is expensive but it
is also very powerful. How do you deal with this monster? Close combat? With
a close assault value of 10+ and 15 spore cyst it seems difficult. Fire
power? Armor save of 1+, 4 wounds. In addition the Dominatrix is very
dangerous with its psychic attacks... Is there someone to tell me about his
own experience?
Second problem (not the less important) : Bio Titans. Of course they are
also expensive but how tough they are! For the Hierophant, armor save of 2+
and then you must roll a die on the critical damage value without any save
modifier : to hit the head you must pass the first saving throw, your hit
must not scatter and you have to roll a 6! That's difficult. Fortunately
bio-titans don't have a big assault value (+14 for the Hierophant), I gess
that close combat is the best way to destroy them...

What are your general strategies against the bugs?
Squat version? First Fire orders, deploy artillery and Thunderers...
Ork version? Waaaagh! Charge orders, destroy these bugs in close combat...

Last question about Hive Mind tests. It is said that such a test must be
made when a swarm is broken : if the test is a failure, will the swarm stay
with instinctive orders for the rest of the game or must the Hive Mind test
be made each turn?

Thank you very much for your attention.

A bient�t!

Francois Bruntz