Re: [NetEpic ML] FW: Jervis

From: <deaconblue3_at_...>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:50:38 -0400

We were
very disappointed with the attitude of older players and it taught us a
lot,
that our tastes were more sophisticated than the big bulk of the market
that
the game was going to reach who were players who sometimes perceive
complexity as sophistication, so we learnt that we have to throw a bit of
grit into the games systems that players can catch on to � because they
are
not Games Designers like us they don't, say, see this beautiful elegant
machine, they like a bit of detail.

-->Why do I feel so insulted by this? Elegant machine? I think that the
arrogance factor is creeping in here, bigger and badder than ever. E40K
is not subtle, and it is not "elegant." It is an OK rules et, but is not
Epic. Jervis makes a serious sin here, in thinking that as a "game
designer" he "knows" what is and is not a good rules set. He, and
everyone else at GW are not the be all end all of games design,
especially in the miniatures department. And what's this equating detail
with unsophistication? A detailed rules set is unsophisticated? Bare
bones simplicity is? Say what? I like detail. I like having to
actually THINK about my army, and what I;m going to field. Rather than
the MicroBorg plug'n'play design of much of GW's current line (Warmaster
excepted). I think that GW should just cut to the chase, and put out a
set of rules called "Fantasy Miniatures for Dummies," and "SciFi
Miniatures for Dummies." That way, there's no misinterpretation of what
they're doing. As is usual, IMO, GW when it creates a new edition of
something, changes all the wrong things. They "fix" what is unbroken,
and widen the cracks of things that were broken. Then again, it is
mostly us in the "colonies" that like games like SM/TL, and 40K2Ed, so we
are obviously inferior to the superior minds that lurk the halls at GW.
Bah. All I need from them are more Epic scale models, and not new rules
sets, and even then, I'll think three or four times before sending them
anymore of my cash.

Josh R

Minister for General Mayhem
"Don't let the bastards grind you down." Gen. Joseph Stilwell
Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein -Rammstein