Re: [NetEpic ML] DE overview

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:22:34 -0400

Hi!

> More specifically to Mandrakes, since they are the only ones in the DE
> Codex
> to have shadow skin.

Definitely should be limited to this unit, its way to powerful.

> Why don't we make combat drug cards, like the kustom repair, hive mind and
> chaos cards we already have. The cards could be played at certain units
> during the game just like hive mind and chaos cards. The DE player would
> receive a certain number of cards depending on the number of units he has
> capable of using them.

Doh! What a GREAT idea. The more I think of it the more I like it.
Perhaps one card per company card or something like that. This vastly
simplifies applying this. Good one!!

> > Infantry
> >
> > Decide which set of stats to use from the following:
> >
> [snip]
> > Warrior 10 cm None +1 Splinter Rifles 50 cm 2 5+ 0
>
> This one is better. However, the splinter rifles are no more rapid firing
> than IG lasguns, so I would drop the attack dice to 1.

Yes. Agreed.

> I don't quite like either, so here's my suggestion:
> Grotesque
> move: 10 cm
> Save: 5+; cannot be modified further than 6+.
> CAF: +4
> Weapons: None
> Range: None
> To-hit: N/A
> Save mod: None
> Notes: Stupid, Horrifying
>
> Stupid: The pain all Grotesques have suffered has numbed their minds. If a
> Dark Eldar command unit is not within 10cm of a Grotesque unit at the
> orders
> phase roll a d6:
>
> 1: The Grotesques just stare ahead stupidly or torture themselves for fun.
> The unit has no orders.
> 2-3: The Grotesques amble off towards the nearest enemy. The unit has
> advance orders.
> 4-6: The Grotesques run screaming towards the nearest enemy unit intent on
> causing as much pain as possible. The unit has Charge orders.
>
> Horrifying: A Grotesque looks so terrible that enemy units charged by
> a unit
> of Grotesques must make a morale check or go on fall back orders.

I like this, very much.

> Let's alter a bit:
> Move: 10cm
> Save: None
> CAF: +4
> Weapons: Destructor
> Range: Flamer template
> To-hit: 5+
> Save Modifier: None
> Notes: Commander, Elite Ignores cover to hit

Good too.

> [snip]
> > Beast Master 15 - +4 Splinter pistol/Agoniser 25 2 5+ -
> > Commander, Elite
> > Combat drugs Special Rules
> >
> [snap]
> > This elite troop controls Warp Beast packs and is enhanced
> > with Combat
> > Drugs. They are very fast because they need to be able to
> > keep up with
> > the Warp Beasts. The Beast Master is a deadly CC unit and
> > must be with
> > 10 cm of the pack she controls. The Beast Master moves and
> > shoots like a
> > command unit but can be targeted normally.
> >
> > Warp beast 25 - +5 None - - - - Special Rules
> [snap]
>
> Drop the move to 20cm

Agreed.

> > Dark Warlock 10 cm None 0 Shredder Pistol 25 cm 2 5+ 0 Command Psyker
>
> How about "Dark seer"?

Sounds much better,

> This is armed with a splinter rifle. Let's make it comparable to other
> vehicle AP weapons:
> Range: 25cm
> To-hit: 6+
> Save mod: none

Yes, we must standarize things a bit.

> [snip]
>
> > Dark Reaper Jet Bikes 35 cm None +4 Splinter Cannons 25 cm 2 5+ -1
> > Combat Drugs
> >

> Dark Reapers are the Eldar aspect warriors, so how about just Reaper? This
> could be the DE "Vyper".

Shadow bike?

> [snip]
> > Talos 20 cm 4+ +5 Splinter Cannons Splinter Guns 75 cm 4 4 -2
> > / 15 cm 4
> > 5+ 0 Skimmer
> >

> > Only one version of these:
> >
> > Shadow Guard 10 cm 6+Fix +2 Splinter Cannon 50 cm 1 5+ -1
> > Special Orders
>
> Dark Stalkers?

Sounds good too.

> > Raider 30 5+ 0 Dark Lance 75 1 5+ Special Skimmer, carries 2 stands,
> > Special Rules
>
> Open topped; crew bail out save reduced by 1.

Nice touch.

> > Special rules in one version of rules
> >
> > The Raider is armed with a Dark Lance, this weapon fires a
> > beam of dark
> > energy that annihilates anything it hits. Its especially effective
> > against heavily armored vehicles, who thick armor plates offer no
> > protection against the beam. Due to its unique nature targets
> > with a 4+
> > or better save are treated as a 5+.
> >

> Why not give it a save modifier of -3 and +2 to damage rolls?

Similar to a shadow sword.

> Drop the save to 3+. The weak armor should be one of the main
> weaknesses of
> a DE army.
>
> > Raptor 25 4+ 0 Dark Lance 75 1 5+ Special Skimmer, carries 2 stands.
>
> Too similar to the Raider. IMHO not needed.

I too think it is somewhat redundant. Its preferable to have few unique
vehicles rather than many similar ones.

> > > Only one version:
> > Super Heavies
> > Shadow 30 2+* +4 ShadowCannonSplinter 100 cm 1 3+ Special 75
> > cm 2 5+ -1
> > Skimmer, super heavy, +3 to Dmg rolls.
>
> This should be a special card. The DE don't seem to be lugging too much
> heavy equipment around...

Agreed, so would be titans.

> Flyers (from Imperial Armour 2):
>
> Raven (Ho hum! How dull a name; how about Night Witch? Tormentor? Ghost?)
> Move: 115cm
> Save: 5+
> CAF: +5
> Weapons:
>
> Long barreled Splinter cannon
> Range: 50cm
> Attack d:2
> To-hit:5+
> Save Mod: -1
>
> Dark Lance
> Range: 50cm
> Attack d:1
> To-hit:4+
> Save Mod: -3, +2 to damage rolls
>

> Razorwing
> Move: 90cm
> Save: 4+
> CAF: +2
> Weapons:
>
> Heavy Terrorfex:
> Range: 50cm
> Attack d:Barrage template
> To-hit:4BP
> Save Mod: special
> If any models under the template are hit, the unit must pass a morale
> check
> or go on fall back orders. The check is modified by -1 for any models
> hit in
> excess of one. Since the Terrorfex produces psychic hallucinations, a
> succesful psychic save by ANY member of the unit negates the need to
> make a
> morale check.
>
> Dark Lance
> Range: 50cm
> Attack d:2
> To-hit:4+
> Save Mod: -3, +2 to damage rolls
>
> Long barreled Splinter cannon
> Range: 50cm
> Attack d:2
> To-hit:5+
> Save Mod: -1

It would be necessary to add these as fliers, they are need. Is there a
AA unit?

Peter