Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: Netepic Background

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:33:26 -0700 (MST)

Peter wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I wouldn't worry about weakening them. The point is that a standard 40k army
> of the same points value as an OGRE army should consistently lose.

I assume you mean equal sized (in troop number) armies, not equal point
values (it'd be nice if two 2,000 pt armies gave somewhat of a close game).

> You need
> a lot more standard 40k troops to beat top level dark age of technology
> armies.

I'll agree with this.

My thought on Ogre's (in Netepic and in general).
They mount alot of guns, and they are next to impossible to kill in
a single shot. But it is possible (and somewhat easy) to kill
any one gun and some set of thier mobility. So unlike a Titan that's
usually fairly effective right up to the big explosion. An Ogre
starts off even more effective and gets widdled away. The key
to balancing it is to get the right speed of decline/widdle.

The Ogre Force as whole
o Good tanks (slightly better than the Leman Russ)
o Hard but brittle infantry (good saves, okay morale)
o GEV's (fliers that move on the ground)
o Ogres
o As a whole, lack good CAF (but have good close range weaponry, but
can be overwhelmed).
o Great Artillery.
o Great AA abilities.
o Everything is expensive.