Re: [NetEpic ML] Net epic background ideas

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:09:12 -0500

Hi!

> Well, this is humancentric,
>
> What about the Slann and Tyranids (and Orks, since I've never been
> of the opinion that the Slann created the Orks). Some of the really
> old races, that have histories that make Humanities history look
> like just a drop in the bucket.

We'll have to run a parallel history for them. The slann are kinda easy,
they go from absolute masters to uncaring beings, with only the recent
Tyranid threat waking them out of their stupor. The tyranid are more
interesting. I have always fancied that the Slann created them, perhaps
unwittingly. An experiment gone terribly wrong.

> I thought Nurgle was the eldest of the Chaos Gods. And that Slannesh
> rose when he devoured the souls/psyches of most of the Eldar. And that
> Slannesh's rise created the warp storms that destroyed the (Slann) devices
> that sheltered the populations of Earth.

The warp was born of human emotion, khorne being first since mankind has
always been a bloodthirsty race. Then cam Tzeentch from the political
intigues as government became more sophisticated. Then came Nurgle as man
poisoned and decayed his enviorment. The Emperor predates ALL chaos gods,
that is why they fear him, he's older than they are, with all the knowledge
that comes with it.

> All of these things predate the spread of humanity. I'm probably just
> confused though.
>
> I also recall that the first Warp Entities (not necessarily gods) came
> about when the Slann allowed matter (order) to interact with the
> relatively calm warp (this also released massive amounts of energy).
> This created localized storms and inavertantly created life in
> the Warp (which evolved relatively quickly to intelligent life).
> These entities, in part, fed on the psychic energy/souls of the
> recently dead. The Slann, lacking a racial gestalt (they lacked the
> emotion to generate one), had no protection
> against these feedings and began to decline as less and less souls
> where available for reincarnation. They then cut a deal with some
> of the more powerful entities to protect themselves. These entities
> wanted something in return (and the fluff hinted, that this is one
> of the reasons why humans were created ... we make great psychic
> sacrifices). The Slann found that they had caught a tiger by the tail.
> Everytime they fed these entities ... they got stronger. But if
> they stopped feeding them they would turn and finish devouring the Slann.
> So they attempted to hide (using Warp Buoy's to keep the Warp at bay),
> and/or finally just made a run for it.

What little official fluff there is about this states that the nascent warp
indeed had warp entities that were akin to elemental (nature related). The
Slann being well attuned to nature could use it affectively and their
technology nor their vices influenced it. The contamination of the warp came
during their eons long slumber when human emotions poisoned it. When the
Slann started to rekindle their interest in the universe they immediately
realized something was wrong and took steps to curtail this. This makes an
interesting point since at some point after the tyranids are dealt with they
have a score to settle with man as well.

> The Slann's children races were then left by themselves. But unlike
> the Slann, they developed Racial Gestalts (ie belief in gods/archtypes).
> These racial belief systems provided a level of protection against
> warp entities (they created symbiotic counter entities (gods) that
> then protected the race during the time between reincarnations).
> In the Eldar case, these symbiotic entities were destroyed by
> Slannesh. In the Human case, these entities have coaleced into a
> single one known as the Emperor/Star Child. In the Ork case, they've
> got Mork and Gork.

The ork gods are a mystery. No official source really speaks from where they
came beyond the presence of brainboyz. Perhaps the Slann did make them or
they are some evolved life form parallel to man. Their gods are also a
mystery. Even the Emperor respects Gork and Mork. How old they are and what
they are is a mystery.

Peter