Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: Netepic Background

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 21:19:58 -0500

Hi!

Good points. As I stated originally the outline I posted can be used to
generate what we need and leave specific time frames for each to manage to
taste. Some believe stagnation can last eons, some don't. But in the scheme
I laid out time frame beyond a very general sense is not necessary to write
in stone.

The problem with GW fluff as Josh has pointed out lacks very important
information to back up why the Imperium is what it is. Technological
stagnation is very possible in the Imperium for a long time if we determine
that only a small percentage of Imperial worlds are "tech able". Note most
of the fluff hints that a lot of worlds live in total ignorance of the
Imperium as a whole and are very low tech (medieval). Also while there are
many "production worlds" this doesn't mean they contribute to advancement,
since their job is to "make things". Actually beyond Mars the GW fluff
doesn't really mention any major center of research. So if you are left with
one organization to do it all you'll have problems. In my view though even
this is not the major hindrance for development. It has to do more with the
superstitious tone technology is dealt with. The rituals and traditions in
dealing with "x" machine. It seems many don't want to know how it works in a
conventional scientific way, but that a spiritual context is more important.
As in real life religion and science rarely mix well.

The Imperium works more like the Roman Empire did than the British empire.
Local governors have pretty much all the authority as long as they
acknowledge Rome (Earth) its all good. As long as homage and tithes come in
all is good. Terra sets policy, but the real practical government concerns
seem to be at the planetary/system governors level.

Peter