Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: Netepic Background

From: <deaconblue3_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 18:00:40 -0500

I'm in.... IF we modify the ludicrous "strictly fascist, patethically
inefficient, galaxy-wide empire stands perfectly still for 10.000
years managing to exercise total control in an unknown manner (it's
inefficient, remember?) and managing to continually fight on
something like 15-20 simultaneous fronts without any bloody military
technological advancement taking place in a period of time longer
than what it took us to start with lances and end up with nuclear
weapons".

-->And the barrage balloons go up! 8) I think the main sticking point
here is the nature of the Imperium. It is not a magalithic centrally run
empire, despite the best propaganda of the Administratum. It is, at
best, decentralized, with regional and sector governmors and commanders,
along with SM chapter commanders, having the bulk of the effective power.
 The only exception to this would be the Adeptus Mechanicus, which has
better communication and information transfer capabilities than the
Imperium at large. Also, keep in mind the factionalism with in the
Imperium, especially at the higher eschelons. Most interplanetary
communications are handled by courier on ships, and emergency stuff
through the Astropaths. With several factions, political,
administrative, and miltary vying for control, and using any means to do
so, it slows things down. Add to this the insular nature of the AM, and
"stagnation" is a real possibility. Further, the number of "civilized"
and "technologically advanced" worlds with in the Imperium is no where
defined. Most of the fluff indicates that a good portion of recruitment
for the IG and SM Chapters come from the feral and death worlds, hardly
capable of producing sophisticated and advanced technological apparatus.
And just to add even more to this, much of the economic and industrial
aspects are not defined either. references are made to the AM Forge
worlds and depots, as well as the Squat worlds, but the rest is
undefined, and must enter into the equation. Stupid insigificant fluuf
bits like transit times between worlds, abundance of resources, total
population, number of civilized worlds, number of habitable worlds,
number of personel in the Space Guild, Astropathica, AM, Administratum,
the Clergy, etc. If we truly want to reconcile everything, and
incorporate the new stuff, we will have to build the basic foundation of
the Imperium. while it will have no value for game purposes, or enter
into much of anything, if the whole is to be well grounded, and stable,
and even dynamic, this is what we must do.

Josh R

Minister for General Mayhem
"Don't let the bastards grind you down." Gen. Joseph Stilwell
Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein -Rammstein