Re: [NetEpic ML] Ogre Update

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:01:26 -0700 (MST)

More thoughts,

> > + Dump the Anti-Artillery ability. I threw it in orignally because I
> > thought it was silly that nobody had it.
>
> The counterbattery fire is admittedly one of the things missing in NetEpic.
> I would not drop this rule, as it could be done even in WWI. However, the
> scatter distance should be increased to 2d6.

I thought you already could drop a barrage token anywhere on the table
with a scatter distance of 2d6?

I just reread the barrage section and I remembered it wrong. You have
to have a unit LOS in order to see the point where you're laying the
barrage template. Your modification sounds good to me.

> > o Special Units
> > + Command Post, I don't have a problem with it's ability,
> > but I'm also
> > not wedded to it. I'm fine with it just being an
> > additional objective
> > that starts in the hands of the Heathen force. Could also be
> > made just a scenario thing.
> >

> We could use the mobile command post from Ogre miniatures game. The command
> post could actually be made a weakness as well; since the command post is
> the hub of the local C&C network its destruction would have devastating
> short-term efects. How about this: if the command post is destroyed all
> units except Ogres must roll a die in the next orders phase. On 4+ they may
> be given orders normally, otherwise they are on no orders. Also, all units
> take any morale checks they must make with a -1 modifier during that turn.
> After that it is assumed the network has been patched up somehow so there is
> no effect in the subsequent turns.

I like this. Restating all the Command Post effects:

A Command Post would be free, it would count as an Infantry Bunker
and be treated as a "free" objective marker in the hands of the Heathen
forces.

When the Command Post is destroyed or on the first time it is overrun
(occupied by enemy troops), all non-Ogre Heathen detachments suffer the
following effects on the next turn:
o On 4+ they may be given orders normally, otherwise they are on no orders.
o All morale checks are made at a -1.

A Command Post may be purchased as "mobile" (speed and stats to be worked
out).

Should a command post be required for an Ogre force?

> > o Ogres
> > + Ogre's Sentience, I have mixed thoughts on this. I'd be willing to
> > let the Ogre be affected in a similiar way as Eldar Titans
> > to psychic
> > attacks (especially with the Ogrethulhu coming out soon
> > (new Chaos Optional
> > unit!)).
>
> Eldar titans do have a crew whereas an Ogre is a pure AI. The computer has
> no mind, in the human/alien sense, which would be affected by such an
> attack. Nor does it have a soul. Imperial robots are not affected by
> psychics.

I'm fine with leaving them uneffected.

> > + Ogre MKIIIb is also currently available from Steve Jackson
> > games (or soon
> > will be (It's on my Christmas list!)).
>
> Good! What do you think about my model suggestions, BTW?

I thought they were fine.
FYI, the Fencer is out too.
The Mk III-B
http://www.sjgames.com/miniatures/ogre/combineset12/img/cover_lg.jpg

The Fencer (The Fencer has two variants, the Fencer and the Fencer-B)
http://www.sjgames.com/miniatures/ogre/paneuropeanset1/img/cover_lg.jpg

> I'd leave the Ogres at the current power level. They're supposed to
> represent one of the cutting-edge technologies of the Dark age of Technology
> and as such should be, well, terrible to oppose. However, I'd drop the Ogre
> brigade. These things were never that plentiful.

FYI, right now a guesstimate places the Ogre Mk III at about 1000 pts.

DarylL