Re: [NetEpic ML] Ogre Update

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:58:52 -0700 (MST)

> Second draft of the list has been added to the non-images/new units and
> rules folder in the files (heathenv2.zip). The list is a draft as there are
> some additional units and formations I plan to add. The Point costs are also
> not calculated yet.
>
> I'd be glad to receive your comments. If nobody comments the list I assume
> it is perfect and will not take any complaints about the units in the later
> revisions except for typos and such. :)
>
> Jyrki Saari

My thoughts (starting from the front working backwards):

o Feel free to dump any of the fluff text that doesn't fit (and/or modify
  it appropriately).

o Special Rules
 + Dump the advanced targeting computers, they just aren't fun (where's the
   fun in hitting what you aim at!).
 + Keep the Anti-Aircraft Ability, it's thematic given Ogre fluff.
   (Aircraft are no longer viable given that ground troops
    can shoot them down so easily (they are suicide craft)).
 + Dump the Anti-Artillery ability. I threw it in orignally because I
   thought it was silly that nobody had it.
 + AP weapons stay the same (although move them all to 5+ to hit (I think
   you did this already), and change the Ogre's to only roll 1 dice).
 + Lack of Psychics, keep that (also a thematic thing).
 + GEV, keep this as a thematic element. Also it's not much different
   than the ability to do pop-up attacks.

o Infantry needs playtesting. Perhaps increase their save to 5+.

o Special Units
 + Command Post, I don't have a problem with it's ability, but I'm also
   not wedded to it. I'm fine with it just being an additional objective
   that starts in the hands of the Heathen force. Could also be
   made just a scenario thing.

o Vehicles
 + I like the weapon names! :-)
 + Needs playtesting. In Ogre, the Heavy Tanks weapon has the same
   strength as an Ogre's Primary but less range (IIRC). The Ogre's
   shoots another hex further. This is why I orignally had it with
   a range of 75cm.

o Artillery
 + I'm worried that the BP's are a little too high. Perhaps cut the
   Howitzers down to 3x2BP. This would make a single Howitzer equivalent
   to a whole detachment of Basilisks.

o Super Heavies no comment until playtested.

o Ogres
 + Ogre's Sentience, I have mixed thoughts on this. I'd be willing to
   let the Ogre be affected in a similiar way as Eldar Titans to psychic
   attacks (especially with the Ogrethulhu coming out soon (new Chaos Optional
   unit!)). Movement should also be halfed (or stated that it's already
   doubled in the stats).
 + Ogre Maneuvability, start at 180 degrees worth of turns, lose 45
   degrees each track line destroyed. Moves 1/2 speed backwards.
 + AP weapons, I'd be tempted to change to throwing 1 dice instead of 2.
 + Missiles change to 6BP instead of 9, maybe lower the TSM to -2.
   (As it stands now, these things are vicious).
 + Should secondary batteries drop to 1 dice? I have mixed thoughts about
   this. In my testbeds secondary batteries are really nasty (tearing
   apart entire Leman Russ companies!). This would also make them
   equivalent to a light tanks weapon (which appeals to me slightly).
   So a Light Tank == Secondary Battery, Heavy Tank == Primary Battery.
 + Ogre MKIIIb is also currently available from Steve Jackson games (or soon
   will be (It's on my Christmas list!)).
 + I like what you did with the Secondary/Primary Batteries. One
   thing I noticed while running my testbeds was that it took
   forever to strip off the Ogre's batteries. (My gut feeling is
   that Ogre games have alot more turns than NetEpic games). So
   I suspect this is a good thing. You did mean to do this right?
 + Change AP damage so that it reduces AP dice by 2 (or 1 if we reduce AP's
   to 1 dice). Possibly adding a 4+ which strips 2 AP's off (maybe a 6+
   which strips 3 off). Make a note that the AP damage table isn't
   effected by penetrating damage. See my comment above about #'s of
   turns in Netepic compared to Ogre for my reasoning.
 + Change the flashback in the primary hit and the secondary hits to
   (1-3 cybernetic core, 4-6 reactor hit), removing the no effect.
 + Add 1 to all the saving throws. So Connings would be 1+, Primaries
   1+, Secondaries 2+, AP's 4+, Treads 4+, Missiles 3+.

o General Ogre thoughts:
  If the goal is to make the Ogre's comparable to Titans, something needs
  to be done about their massive firepower (reduce it or something).
  If we're willing to say a single Ogre is the equivalent of 2 Titans,
  then it's probably fine (although pt values for the MK III will be
  around 1200 pts, the MK V even higher (2000+?)). I'm of mixed minds
  on what I'd prefer to see. I'd like to keep Ogre tough (since that's
  thematic), while I'd like to keep them low enough in points that they
  are fieldable (since I already have 2).

o And the most important thought!
  You've done a great job so far!

Those are my current thoughts.