Re: [NetEpic ML] New Astropath

From: Darryl Hilbig <darrylhilbig_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:44:58

See Below (Reference commanding other troops & Command Unit Status).

>From: nils.saugen_at_...
>
>I've taken the liberty of making a New Astropath for the IG army list. This
>Astropath's powers are more defensive and not at all as powerfull as the
>previous one! He is a Seer and a Protector!
>
>Comments please!
>
>Nils
>
>BM__Toc422053485Astropath
>
>The blind psychic seers ubiquitous on Imperial worlds and in Imperial
>service, Astropaths can occasionally be found serving in a direct battle
>capacity for the Imperial Army. The Astropath is a Command unit, he can
>issue orders to a unit within coherency distance (6 cm) like the Commissar.

I don't think that the Astropath should be given the power to command
troops. The reason is that he is a member of the Commander's staff for
communictation of orders (like a sognaller in a modern day Command Post (CP)
of an aide-de-camp in black powder conflict times). He hasn't been trained
in strategy and tactics or any of the other skills that are required to
impose their will on a battle. To say that he is an experienced Military
Astropath, then you would have maybe have to grades of Astropath to denote
which are campaign/battle experienced and which are not. This could be
reflected in the cost. It must be remembered that Astropaths are still
civilians with all the lack of authority that would apply to military run
situations.

Darryl H

The theory and practice of gamesmanship or
The art of winning games without actually cheating.
(Title of book - Stephen Potter 1900-69)