Re: [NetEpic ML] Fw: JANUARY FANATIC NEWSLETTER (late!)

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:46:24 -0400

Hi!

> -->Well, they can take a number and stand in line. 8)
>
> Fluff and the representation of it on the battle board is of paramount
> importance in a GW game. They seem to not get this at all. Go figure.
>
> -->It's amazing when they seemingly put in mutually exclusive stuff
> intentionally. It's strange when they violate their own "rules" on the
> matter, then don't even bother to retcon it into the existing stuff.

Hehe, even by their own retailer propaganda, its all about the miniatures, the rules, fluff and everything else is meaningless without the minis and of course their sale.

> -->Ah yes. The good old days when there was as much Epic stuff as
> Warhammer or 40K on the shelves. Back when a Banelord or three could be
> found in any store that carried GW stuff. *sniff* I miss those days.
> GW, to my mind, has become far too insular. Way back when (Here we go
> again Mr. Peabody!), GW used to remember where its roots were, in the
> historical miniatures games. Guys like Nigel Stilman and Rick Priestly
> knew where they came from, and it was reflected in what they did, and how
> they did it. I think this shows in Warmaster, which is primarily
> Priestly's design. Much different than the current incarnations of 40K
> and Warhammer (not to mention Epic). "Get back! Get back! Get back to
> where you once belonged."

True, I miss those days. Unfortunately unless I win the lotto and buy them out you aren't seeing them again <chuckle>

> -->I know all too well. We are no longer in the 10-15 year old category
> (and some of us haven't been for quite some time 8P), using our parents
> disposable income. GW's turn over rate is astounding. They don't even
> try to keep players, just try to get new ones to replace those that have
> left. bad business decision really. I mean, the historicals companies
> stick around by getting and keeping players. They are more responsive to
> questions and critiques than GW is, and their players feel more a part of
> the process, rather than a target of it. Most of these companies are
> quite pleased when you find a bug, or loop hole that can be abused. The
> usual response is "thanks. We missed that. We'll correct it in an
> errata, and fix it in the next printing." Unlike GW which is "You must
> have misread the rule, and aren't playing in the spirit of the game."

Whats a shame it happened sort of suddenly at least to me. I remember hanging out at my store back in the day, it looked like a game store, not day care.

When I lived on Long Island New York I saw first hand what the new demographics were. Not that all of them are...well..children...but it sure alienated a lot of grown-up gamers. I for one play becasue of the social aspect it has. Ask Darius, sometimes I'd make the journey to his brothers store to play and spend WAAAAY more time yakking. It figures though. I can relate to Darius and other like him, because he's roughly my age, is married and has a career, so we can talk about a lot of things and we can relate. Last time I visited one of the stores with in house munchkin gaming, I was lost. What do I have in comnon with these kids? How about nothing....

> -->I said that because many of those who play Epic, are also players of
> games like Spearhead or Command Decision. I was attracted to Epic
> because not only was I playing 40K, but was also heavily involved with an
> East Front Micro-Armor campaign at the time (circa 1990). It was easy
> for me at the time to get others to play Epic, as it was very much like
> Spearhead in space (opposed to Spearhead From Space, a Dr.Who episode),
> so they glammed on to it quickly. Many people I know who played Epic
> back then, fell away when SM/TL went away, and went back to the
> historicals. They didn't go over to 40K. That is the kicker here. Epic
> is not a vehicle unto itself, but GW intends it to be a draw to get
> people into 40K, their real money maker. Just like WOTC expected every
> Pokemon player to jump into 3E DnD. Unrealistic expectations. As long
> as this philosophy holds, Epic will continue to be that red headed step
> child of GW's.

Unfortunately they cant grasp this concept. Its always about those two games and everything is geared to make you play them. Unrealistic indeed, but here to stay.

Peter