Re: [NetEpic ML] (Net) Epic answer and comments

From: <deaconblue3_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:37:39 -0500

I mean, is there a compromise `escalation' of Basic Start-
Intermediate Section-then Advanced, in one ruleset combining both
Epic 40K and NetEpic - I think that may be stretching the situation
too far, and more to the point would GW powers agree to that?

-->This I don't think will happen, nor am I sure it should happen. Well,
at least not in the way that I am thinking, which is probably off by more
than a few degrees from what you are Peter. Adding depth to the units of
E40K is one thing, and having layers of complexity is too. But I don't
think you can, or should, try to evolve from E40K to NetEpic in one rules
set. They're two different animals. But a more customizable approach to
the E40K rules set would be a good thing. It worked as a concept and in
practice for many a wargame of ages past. Look at most AH, VG, Yaquinto,
or GDW games, and they were all set up generally with at least 2, if not
3 levels of complexity. This could easily be applied not only to E40K,
but to NetEpic as well. People seem to forget that, as it once stated in
the old ADnD DMG "all rules are optional." Don't like a rule? Don't use
it, or change it. Want to try something not in the rules? Go right
ahead. One of the advantages of NetEpic is that it's more malleable and
"free form" than E40K, mostly because of the lack of corporate lines to
be adhered to. If you play NetEpic, you don't have some one complaining
that you're not using things as written (usually), or that if you opt to
try something new, no one screams that it isn't "official." And if they
do, just tell em it's a play test. 8) There is one very radical
suggestion I'd like to make, but won't be taken seriously at all, and
that is to get away from the d6 system. It is possible to keep the
system very simple, with out using a d6. Switch instead to d100, and use
even percentages for everything. You can incorporate just about
everything you want this way, yet keep the dice rolling to a minimum. I
may work on this as a side project, and see what comes of it. Who knows,
maybe it'll give a new look and feel to things.

Josh R

"No matter where you go, there you are." B.Bonzai