Re: [NetEpic ML] net epic suppression

From: Sam Dale <epic_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 02:51:16 -0000

>Suppression markers are removed in the end phase. To remove suppression
markers for each unit or model roll a d6. On
>a role of two or more remove all suppression counters on that unit or
model. On a role of 1 suppression counters remain.
>Regardless of how many suppression counters a unit may have or how many
attended penalties a role of six will always
>remove all suppression markers.

Don't like this. This means that a several volleys of fire onto one unit
could take them out of action for several turns. And even still falling foul
of the same supression markers once they've charged half way across the
field and ripped an enemy position to shreds. If a unit is going to keep
their heads down, surely they need to be kept under fire. I prefer the
markers modifying the morale check and them being all removed at the end of
turn. The more fire you pour into a position, the more likely they are to go
"duuuuuuuck!" just for that point in time. Even space marines.

>TYPE OF WEAPONS

What the man said. Something along the lines of barrage fire causes extra
suppression markers. Each barrage what hits a unit causes an extra marker.
Every two for those with Save mod of 0 against armoured units. And every
two/four after the first. If the barrage completely covers at least two
models (assuming there's two or more left) might make this a little less
likely to be abused. That way you can't just clip the unit, you've got to
give em the full welly of the volley.

The comment about elites needing to be immune doesn't ring true. only those
fanatical enough to not require morale checks ever can ignore being under
heavy fire. They didn't get to be experienced elite troops by keeping their
heads above the parapet when under heavy fire. They won't be pinned as
easily, but won't be immune.

One other thought, what about cover? Fortifications (not general buildings
or rubble or trees) should provide at least enough cover to ignore the first
suppression marker, cos otherwise your seige games have potential to be
seriously screwed up.

Oh, and aircraft. Ones with minimum movement. They can't really be left
standing there. Move as normal, no firing?

Sam.