Re: [NetEpic ML] net epic suppression

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:47:01 -0400

Hi!

> JS: You asked for it! :P I'll also try to address the problems found by other listmembers.

I know. I've been asking for it since I volunteered to be in that the coordinator more than five years ago [chuckle].

> First, I like the basic mechanics. But: I think there should be at most two levels of suppression. When a unit has one level of suppression it must make a morale check when it is activated. If it fails, the unit may still fire but with a -1 to-hit penalty. When a unit has 2 levels of suppression it must make a morale check as above with a -1 penalty. If it fails, it may neither move nor fire.

I like this, I like this a lot! It actually makes a lot simpler.

> Rationale: the first level represents a situation where the unit is pinned, but still able to answer fire. The second level represents such amount of fire that the soldiers are unable to do anything but keep their heads down. After that any additional fire does not make much impression from the suppression point of wiev. This still leaves one problem: units with a morale of 1 are effectively immune to the first suppression level and, if they fail the second check, get directly the level 2 penalty. This could be solved either by stating that the worst effects such unit can get are the level 1 effects. The other would be to add a third level of suppression, which produces no additional penalties to those already suffering the level 2 penalties.
>
> Suppression vs. vehicles. This is a real problem; IMO vehicles aren't "suppressed" as such. They can't be forced go prone and keep their head down and it takes a near-penetrating hit to shock/stun the crew (penetrating hits usually destroy the vehicle and/or crew). While it can be argued that the suppression in case of vehicles is that the volume of fire disturbs their aim by throwing up dirt etc. I'd say that these things are more or less present on the battlefield all the time and have already been addressed in the to-hit numbers. The
>
> Even at half suppression rate nearly all infantry units (6+ stands) in the game will suppress a standard tank platoon (3 tanks) while a superheavy shot at by a devastator detachment will be in a world of hurt. While the morale check reduces the possibility somewhat I still consider it to be too much, so I think I favor the table posted by Daryl. If suppression against vehicles is desired, the effects should be different from those of infantry. For one, vehicle movement should not be restricted since it's the vehicles' best defense against incoming fire. A tank driver who hits the brakes when under fire is asking for a direct hit. Vehicle suppression should thus IMO be represented either as morale or to-hit penalties.

I'm warming up to the idea of the table myself. I'm beginning to see potential gameplay problems with the original suggests a system. The table seems to result some of those problems.

> Barrages: artillery has traditionally been great suppressor, so against infantry it should IMO suppress at greater rate, say, 1.5 - 2 times the normal rate.
>
> Superheavies are even less likely to be suppressed than other vehicles, all the more reason for me to favor Daryl's table. Besides, since there is only 1 superheavy in a detachment they are ridiculously easy to suppress otherwise.
>
> Titans and praetorians: these monsters should IMO be immune to suppression. They are so large that suppression would most likely only affect idividual sections of the monster and leave other areas unaffected.

I agree. Titans are born in bred to fight and receive incoming firepower. I just don't see them being affected by suppression.

> Cover: this should be addressed, as Albert said. If you have something more or less solid to hide behind you are less likely to be affected. Cover with a -1 to-hit modifier should require something like 1.5 times the normal amount of fire to suppress and cover with greater modifier should require 2 times the normal amount of fire to suppress.
>
> A general problem: the suppression favors armies with large detachments. Ork mobs would be effectively immune to suppression while Eldar aspect warriors would get the worst of it. All in all, more thought is needed.

Again I agree. Unfortunately the way to core mechanics of epic works it's very difficult to use those mechanics already in place to represent suppression. All that one is left with is making a parallel game mechanics and put it on top of the core mechanics. That could be pretty messy.

Peter